Colnago C59 tyre clearance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Im looking to buy a used C59. Its not the latest version which is mechanical and electronic, its about 3 years old.
Will it take 25 mm tyres?
Its a 52s. Is the geometry the same as my Extreme Power 56 T?
Thanks

NealH

by NealH

Yes, it will take 25's with ease.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mine doesn't. 25mm Veloflex Roubaixs or Arrenbergs or Continental Competitions will barely clear hitting the fork crown. Less than 1.5mm clearance. Very annoying riding over anything but the absolute cleanest of roads.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

em3

by em3

NealH wrote:Yes, it will take 25's with ease.

Not all 25c tires are created equally...even among models from the same manufacturer. Continental clincher tires are know for being much wider then labeled and have one of the highest profiles, while the opposite is true of other manufacturers. Not to mention that the clearance on YOUR frame may be different then the next guy's C60. Unfortunately this is one of those trial end error, you won't know until you try it questions. Good luck.
EM3

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The forks are the same. Added clearance was something they did for 2014 model years only and carried forward with the C60. The rim profiles and exactly how the beads fit in those rims are more apt to make a difference. I have run a 25mm Continental 4000s clincher on a Campy Neutron rim that I ran with a fendered setup for winter on my C50. Tried this exact same tire (the very same one) on the HED Belgium rim as this was my first choice, but it sat too high for the fenders.

I have found the profiles of tubulars to be much more consistent than those of clinchers. Still, I have never seen a pre 2014 C59 that will fit a 25mm tire "with ease". It fits, barely, but it's annoying to ride because of all the chatter from road debris trying to get through the space between the tire and the fork crown. I would never attempt to ride this combo over anything close to fresh chip seal roads.

My EPQ and C59 share the same fork. The clearance is identically very very tight with 25's on both of them. My 2008 C50 on the other hand, does handle 25c tires "with ease". I used to have a C40 that a 25c tire would rub on the rear brake bridge of the seat stays.

Like EM3 says... try it on the frame you want to use. They may vary a little but not much.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I have two C 59s. I have plenty of clearance with both 25mm tubeless Hutchinson on my Shamals and 25mm Roubaixs on my tubular Hyperons. Well over 1.5 mm. More like a cm and probably more on my bikes. One C 59 is circa 2011 and the other 2013.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Vagabond: a centimeter? Firstly I'd really question whether your Roubaixs are the older 24mm casing with the new label (they're out there, I returned some, then bought them again when the 25's were so tight). Secondly, could you take a pic of the clearance between your 25mm tires and the fork crown (underneath the brake)? This I would have to see to believe. Take a 10mm Allen wrench and stick the long end through the gap between the top of the front tire and the fork crown. All the way through then wave it from side to side like a wand from over the entire upper circumference of your tire. It doesn't touch anywhere? I'd have to see that. I would be very surprised if you could do this with a 5mm Allen wrench let alone a 10mm. On mine, a 2mm Allen key with 25mm Roubaixs or Arrenebergs or Conti Comps will not clear freely.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mriddle

by mriddle

My C59 was ordered from Colnago in April of 2013 from an italian dealer. I received the frame here in the US in June of 2013 and have nice clearance with Vittoria 25s in both tubular (on Ambrosio Nemesis) and clinchers (Hyperon Ones and Shamals).

Hope it works for you.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok guys, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. I'm hearing your C59's will take 25mm tires "with ease" on up to "a cm" (or 10mm) of clearance. Here's some pics of mine with a 25mm Veloflex Arrenberg mounted on a Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two wheel. I have this same tire, as well as a Veloflex Roubaix mounted on both another Bora Ultra Two and on some Ambrosio Nemesis rims as well. They all fit with pretty much the same minimal clearance. I have removed the front brake caliper to make the clearance even more visible in the pics.
Here's a shot of the Bora/Arrenberg:

Now here's the same shot with a 2mm Allan key jammed between the tire and fork crown, it will not clear...

And finally, just for comparison... here's a shot holding the 2mm Allan wrench alongside a 10mm (1cm) Allan wrench. I'd really like to see a C59 fork, anywhere, that can fit that thing between the fork crown and any 25mm tire...
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mriddle

by mriddle

My clearance is considerably more than what you have shown in the photos. I'll try and get a shot or two this week. I would doubt I can get a 10mm hex wrench around but would guess a 6 or 8 would easily fit?

I regularly cover a route with 5-6 miles of what I call rough chip seal with no problems whatsoever. I've actually thought about trying 27s but don't want to push it...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm. Wonder if maybe you got one of the newer forks. I've seen three different ones as they were coming up with C60 fork designs. In any case, yes, a pic would be nice. And please do the Allen key test. If you could fit a 6 or 8mm key through there with no interference on a 25mm tire then you could certainly run 27's no problem. Even on the C60's with extra clearance, Colnago claims that a 27 "will fit" but they don't recommend it. So if there are C59 forks out there with as much variance as this thread would indicate, some pics would be nice. My black C59 has the exact same fork as the white EPQ in my pics and the wheels and tires fit exactly the same way. I just showed the white because it's easier to see. Thanks.

eurperg

by eurperg

With my 2012 C59 fork, 2,5mm allen key clears easily, 3mm goes also but needs light pushing. Tires are Arenberg 25mm on Nemesis rims...

asdf123

by asdf123

I own a 2011 c59 model and trying to figure out if I can run some 25mm Conti Competitions (witch are known to be wider then claimed). I can fit a 25mm Veloflex Corsa clincher on that fram without a problem.

asdf123

by asdf123

I own a 2011 c59 model and trying to figure out if I can run some 25mm Conti Competitions (witch are known to be wider then claimed). I can fit a 25mm Veloflex Corsa clincher on that fram without a problem.

fa63

by fa63

Veloflex Corsa 25 mm are quite undersized on non-wide rims. On my older Reynolds carbon clinchers, they measure just over 23 mm. When I put them on 23 mm wide rims, they actually measure 25 mm. So keep that in mind with regards to clearances.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com