Colnago C59 tyre clearance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eurperg

by eurperg

Forum finally back up and running, so I can post my experiments:

asdf123

by asdf123

Why haven't i thought of that before? Thanks eurperg ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamblichus

by iamblichus

great idea, eurperg. how did you make those spacers? they fit so perfectly.

eurperg

by eurperg

They're made from bookshelf leftover parts... :D

Not even glued on, because the wheel holds them in place. Just have to remember to remove the wheel fork upside down only. The tires measure exactly 25mm.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

That's very interesting eurperg... I had thought about doing something similar on my C50, which has fork clearance problems with ProRace4 25mm on Eurus wheels. I'll keep an eye out for an appropriately shaped bit of plastic.

kgt

by kgt

This 'solution' slightly alters your frame's geometry but I guess it is negligible.

eurperg

by eurperg

Yeah, a worn rear tire probably alters the geometry in a similar way. I'm not OCD about it...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, that works but it would bug the hell outta me knowing my geometry's been altered :). Ridiculous I know, as I'm sure I wouldn't notice it but when you have a frame that varies from size to size by the most incremental amounts here and there, the idea of fork shims hurts my senses. If I did go that route I'd at least use a little dab of glue to lock them in place to avoid losing them at inopportune times... "C'mon Cal, hurry your ass up, how long does it take you to fix a flat". "I lost my shim in the grass. Please guys, help me find my shim, please, I beg of you".
Ha ! But seriously, good solution. I think at one time you could actually buy shims like these, maybe you still can.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cwoolee

by cwoolee

25mm Conti competition is good

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

outnumbered wrote:That's very interesting eurperg... I had thought about doing something similar on my C50, which has fork clearance problems with ProRace4 25mm on Eurus wheels. I'll keep an eye out for an appropriately shaped bit of plastic.

Curious @outnumbered: What fork do you have on your C50 that runs into clearance problems with a 25mm tire? I run 25mm Conti 4000s on Neutron rims in my C50 and no clearance issues at all. It's got the most clearance of all my carbon Colnagos. It has the Carbon 75 fork. Or are the ProRace4 25mm tires that much bigger than a Conti 25?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

iamblichus

by iamblichus

i am thinking of buying a 2014 c59. i am wondering how to tell whether the frame has a 'pre c60' fork.

is there anyone who can post images that show the difference between a c59 fork and the 'pre c60' c59 fork? or maybe explain how to tell the difference.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Here's the fork on the 2014 C59 that has a bit more clearance and was carried over to the C60:

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Calnago wrote:
outnumbered wrote:That's very interesting eurperg... I had thought about doing something similar on my C50, which has fork clearance problems with ProRace4 25mm on Eurus wheels. I'll keep an eye out for an appropriately shaped bit of plastic.

Curious @outnumbered: What fork do you have on your C50 that runs into clearance problems with a 25mm tire? I run 25mm Conti 4000s on Neutron rims in my C50 and no clearance issues at all. It's got the most clearance of all my carbon Colnagos. It has the Carbon 75 fork. Or are the ProRace4 25mm tires that much bigger than a Conti 25?

Star fork. The PR4s are very fat in 25mm though. Much more than 2mm bigger than the 23mm version.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Calnago wrote:

Its a combination of tyres and rims too.

i) Pro4 25's run a fair bit bigger than GP4k 25's. Some have reported it close to 28mm in measurement. Conti's are about 24~25mm, usually slightly less than the stated size.

ii) If you run 2 identical sized tyres on a 20.5mm width rim versus another on a 23mm width rim, the latter would measure that 1~2mm bigger overall.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

The C59 can accommodate 25 tyres easy concerning the width.
With some tyres the profile is the problem,they can "touch" the rear brake bridge and fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com