Carbon frame painting in US?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Does anyone have any recommendations for having a carbon frame repainted in the US? From what I gather Calfee do it but are impossible to get ahold of (haven't returned two emails), I've heard Spyder Composites are good and their gallery has some great work in it but I've read several bad reviews of their customer service/unresponsiveness. My LBS recommended HotTubes but their online gallery doesn't have anything recent or impressive to me. Anyone you know of that I haven't mentioned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by Ltoddokc on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I'd love to get an answer on this as well.

I would suggest that you don't bother with Calfee. I had them do a repair and repaint. The entire process was painful; communication was terrible, the timeline protracted, and whereas the final work was good, it turns out that they subbed out the work to an outside painter, so I was paying for "Calfee" but getting an single shingle. (I'd love to know who he was -- he did a great job).

I've heard great things about D&D Cycles (they're local to me) :
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm pretty sure Calfee uses Joe's for painting, as does Leopard I think. Joe's also lists carbon repair.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

djconnel wrote:I'm pretty sure Calfee uses Joe's for painting, as does Leopard I think. Joe's also lists carbon repair.

Thank you, just shot them an email. Anyone else?

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

http://www.ruckuscomp.com/

I heard about these guys from this forum regarding Di2 internalizing of frames.
They also list carbon repair and repainting as a service. I've inquired once before and the communication is very good...

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I've used Joe's painting twice and Ruckus once. Both were really good as far as quality. Both took much longer than quoted. Plan ahead and assume at least double the quoted time if using these two. But it's worth it.

ergott

by ergott

I recommend Craig Ryan of Foresta bikes. He refinished my carbon tubes and the job was flawless.
http://www.cforestryan.com/

The finish is a red tint with gold flake mixed in. In sunlight it pops and I get lots of compliments on the finish. Equally important is the fact that he is good with communications and the price is fair as well.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Thanks for posting these links, everybody. I'd like to get my Felt F1 resprayed, and this will help me pick one to to do the job.

clarkson

by clarkson

I will strongly encourage you to stay away from spyder composites... The small repair I got back was shamefully finished. Raised paint edges that were flaking off, grit and gunk all over, and some nice new scratches that they added to my frame. I am so disappointed I don't even trust their quality to re do it.

go4custom

by go4custom

I give a call to Spectrum Powderworks a call in Co. Most work is done on steel or Ti frames, but they do liquid paint as well.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

My Crumpton was "painted" (actually a tinted clear coat) by Airedale Paint. It's flawless.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

nicrump

by nicrump

Airedale quit the biz

best choices

Craig Ryan (foresta)
Toby Stanton (Hot Tubes)
Joe Vasquez

I am back to my own painting but do not have the bandwidth for outside work.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I used KirkLee out of Austin to repair my wife's Madone. They did a good job. Barely noticeable (I know where the damage is, buy my LBS didn't know anything had been repaired). Their paintwork has been outsourced to Austin Paintworks.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Look up Bill McDonald, former head of paint at Serotta, he is doing freelance stuff for Kelly Bedford and others. I think the name of the business is B Macs Paint works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjduct

by mjduct

good article on Bikerumor about some guys in vail that do crazy stuff... if you are willing to pay 3K for a paintjob!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com