chipped carbon steerer, new fork?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hi all,

Discovered a small chip on the carbon steerer of my bike. Looks like a chip, and not a crack and the steerer still feels stiff. I'm guessing it's missing a few layers of carbon fabric. I'm not sure what caused this, but I've got similar chips on my frames caused by rocks/crashing, and I've been advised that the frame is still fine. I'm wondering if the same applies for the steerer tube? Is the steerer's strucutre compromised? Should I get a new fork or save my pennies?

I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

quattrings

by quattrings

I'd say it is caused by installing a tight fitting stem onto the steerer, which nicked some of the resin of. I would check how it is positioned in relation to the stem. µif the stem covers it, it will be fine. If it's in between stem and spacer it could be stress riser but most likely it would still be fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks for the reply quattrings. I don't know the full history of the frame (bought second hand) so it was a little worrying when I stripped it and found that. My first reaction was an overtightend stem, but looking closer it does look more like nick than a "squeeze crack". For reference the nick is about 1~2mm deep.

The stem does cover this section, almost exactly in the middle of the stem. I'm working on my core flexibility with the aim of lowering the stem. If I lower my stem and it goes below this chip, will that cause trouble?

Also, will this chip complicate things if I wish to cut the steerer?

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

mattr

by mattr

Once the chip is above the stem it becomes a none issue.
The only thing I'd possibly be worried about is if the chip was dead front or back and was exactly where the bottom edge of the stem clamped up, or where the top bearing sat.

But looking at that, it looks shallow and "fairly" rounded. So it's probably a none issue anyway.

I have steerers with similar marks that have done 10s of thousands of km.
Just keep an eye on it.

durianrider

by durianrider

Lightweight carbon steerer tube looks dodgy? Nah, she will be right mate. If your steerer snaps don't worry, you can always use your teeth for brakes.

Send photos off to tech support of whatever company that bike is from. Get their opinion before you put the life on the line.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I am not sure if that tall steerer tube is safe at all...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@Durainrider: definetly going to get it checked out, but if people on the board don't think it's safe then it isn't worth bothering a busy mechanic is it? :wink:

@Toffieboi: FYI I'm running 30mm of spacers to get the stack I need (including headset cover). Pretty sure you'll find bikes (even on this forum) with a taller spacer stack than that. I haven't cut the steerer because a) should I bother? (if fork is a bin fork no use wasting time) ai) I have a super long (and super heavy) compression plug (52mm) - better make te most use of it :lol: b) worried I might "fray" the fork at the weak point.