2013 EC90 Seatpost Experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

I'll post some pictures, but wanted to give my experience with modern EC90 seatposts as a platform for tuning. I received a 300mm (or 350, can't remember) post from eBay for $50. Here are the weights:

Complete post: 195g, (good start)
Post Only: 123g uncut
All Hardware including cradle: 72g
Bottom cradle only: 21g
Steel bolts: 15g

So, I grabbed some Ti bolts (9g) and Ti yokes (15g) expecting a new, "tuned" weight of 168g uncut. I went to mount the saddle...immediate disappointment. They brought the carbon area up and beyond the height of the rails. The new top piece of the Easton cradle is designed to intertwine with the post, meaning a no go with yokes.

Question now becomes to dremel or not. This is a non-structural area that'd be dremelled since they've effectively built a fricken faring.

Thoughts?

Also, as an aside, I really like the carbon finish they did on it, raw UD with a matte clear. Unlike Enve's finish which hides the UD carbon to a degree, the UD shows through very nicely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Do you have pics of the part you would like to dremel?

Marin

by Marin

Is it an original?

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's a picture of it. As you can see, there's fore and aft portions that go in between the rails and rise above the rail level, preventing yokes from clamping down.

If I had a small enough dremel cutting bit, I could probably cut out just enough for the yokes to slot in, kind of like |_|

I'm thinking I can get this post down to 140g with how much is inserted and how much is in the "faring"
Attachments
seatpost2.jpg

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

Really? I like a good ghetto mod, but all that effort fir such minimal gram savings? Why not just do a poo before you ride? Or wear some shorter socks?
Regardless, good luck with your mods, and post some pics of finished product. Just keep the item from being unsafe!