Shimano alu clincher - going wide soon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valy

by Valy

Just wonder if Shimano intends to make their clinchers wide rimmed as is on trend right now? I've got my eye on 6800 wheels, but having used Easton EA90 RT for ~1 month (before they were sent back for RMA as kept losing round/true and ended up getting a refund as they said it would take too long to get new spokes. Maybe just a bad pair, but don't wanna take a punt again) there really are clear benefits to them - more stable cornering feel and reduced chatter, although larger, sharper bumps do seem firmer.

So, anyone have any ideas if Shimano have a wide rimmed 6800 etc wheel with wide rims just around the corner?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

My main issue is that it is now a real pain having to set up the brakes for different wheelsets with varying width rims - Grrrrr! :lol:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I doubt they're going to revise the wheelset this quickly, given that they released them a year ago. I just looked at them, though, and they aren't "narrow" by modern interpretation. At 23mm, they're as wide as the Bontrager aluminum clincher lineup, which is a middle entry, between super wide and old-school narrow wheels.

Valy

by Valy

Oh so its internal is 2-3mm wider than usual?

EDIT: also they seem kind of similar in overall design - so you got the 7850,7900, 9000 etc but they all have similar rims

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Shimano doesn't take kindly to change, so expect the wheels to go from one generation to another with minimal changes.

SimbaDK

by SimbaDK

The rims aren't 23mm wide. They're 23mm tall and measure 21.3 outside, 16 inside.

I also wonder why Shimano or mavic hasn't jumped the wide boat yet. If Archetypes are the new open pro, why dont they make a super open pro?

Valy

by Valy

Heard back from UK Shimano distributor, said 20mm external, 15 internal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

Switched from 7850 C24 clinchers to DT240/Pacenti/28x DT Revs 2x this season. The benefits of lower pressure/smoother ride/better cornering outweighed the very minor weight penalty, at least for the terrain I'm rolling around in.

Even if Shimano eventually released a carbon-laminate wide rim, the price premium would still make me think twice about giving up these handbuilts.