Selle SMP Dynamic carbon, Leather or Microtex?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sp3000

by sp3000

Hello all, I'm grabbing a Selle SMP Dynamic with carbon rails and whilst I usually go a white saddle I notice that the white version is microtex and the black is leather. I'm not too fussed to go with the black one, but I'd love to hear on anyone's experience regarding the durability/comfort etc of leather vs microtex? Thanks.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I put about 1000 miles on a black (leather) Dynamic and it looked just like it did when it came out of the package. Haven't used the microtex myself though I've seen some well used white SMP saddles that still look plenty white. They seem to hold up fairly well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I had one of the Glider models, a while back. The leather on the saddle was durable, but will eventually peel. It's bonded leather, meaning that it is glued to a plastic/vinyl backing. It will eventually peel up, unlike, say, a Brooks saddle, which is a true leather surface.

sp3000

by sp3000

So it sounds like either would be fine. I have a Fizik Aliante in microtex that is still white after 7000km, so maybe microtex is the way to go.

steve147505

by steve147505

Hi,
I have a dynamic (older one) on my mountain bike which was on the road bike until I changed frames. Now have a white microtex on the road bike.
OK black one looks great and has started to show the leather shine/wear - not really an issue and I'm not concerned that it will fall apart any time soon and I use Ranapur (essentially beeswax plus other goodies) to protect and keep the leather looking great.
The microtex one is still looking great and no concerns with it doesn't show any discolouration from black shorts. I had the same reservations before I bought the saddle but now no concerns.
This has nothing to do with the saddle covering but I will be getting the black one recovered by 'Busyman' cycles to match the white and purple I have on the bike (king purple hubs, brooks purple bar tape). This will probably be in white kangaroo leather with purple underneath and holes punched to expose the purple (look at his site for examples).
Good luck but you will have no problem with the microtex

Steve :D

sp3000

by sp3000

Hi Steve, I just had a look at Busyman, he is in Melbourne? very cool.
I ended up with the black leather as the importer didn't have the white and it was apparently "months" away, so I just grabbed the black, it made the choice for me!

steve147505

by steve147505

Hi SP,
No problem.....when it wears or you really want white go to Busyman. When mine has been done (November on the waitlist) I'll post pictures

Steve

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I have two SMP Dynamics. One white with carbon rails one black with steel.

The carbon rails are particular about the seatpost they go in with some not working. Two I know don't work are the 3T difflock ones and the Cervelo S5/S3 posts. the carbon compatible fitting doesn't work properly with SMP carbon rails.

My white one with carbon rails is for sale if you want for that reason. It want fit on my bikes!

As for appearance they both last well. The black one has done 15000 km and is still great. The white one has done about 5000 and looks great.

sp3000

by sp3000

Thanks for the offer but I've got the black one already! It's on a Look 585 so the Look post is good for it. Just an FYI as we are on Weight Weenies, the claimed weight is 205g but it comes in at 224g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com