Identify a road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvotre

by mvotre

I posted in other forum, but since I visit here every day, I know that some people here REALLY know about bikes, so should be easier (i guess)

I need some help trying to identify my bike. I bought it used, painted as a Giant T-Mobile. But, as I found later, the painting is not exactly like the originals, and the frame is much diferent. I'm attaching some pictures (one in the original paint, one in black, one before black paint, and one of the HT logo). Also, more info:

1 - Light. The frame got some HUGE tubes (like 57,5 TT e 18 HT), but with everything included (DR hangers) it weights just 1360g. Light for a old frame. Just the top tube is truly round. All the others are aero in shape. So, a older frame, with the now commom "endurance" geometry, and light. By the way, it's all AL. The fork is some kind of composite with AL steerer. BSA BB (english thread), 27,2 seatpost, integrated headset. Also, the frame got some "aero" fairings in the chain and seat stays areas.

2 - I got some kind of logo in the HT (pictured - sorry for the unrotated picture), but I could'nt find any info about it. Any ideas? Got a serial number in the BB (GV106884 - i'm not 100% sure about the first letter, if a G or a 6). Also got some code on the seat stays, in the junction with the chain stays (2GN drive side and 2G80 non drive side).

anyone have any idea of what kind of frame I have? What led me to believe it was a "fake": you could feel the stickers in the logos, the painting and frame were not identical to the originals I could find, and i got two dents on the frame, wich were repaired with bondo before painting.

I'm trying to find the original brand/color scheme, since it is a nice frame, and I would like to paint it in the original state later.

Thanks in advance, sorry for english errors or bad writing. If needed, just ask for more pictures, and I will post :)

micky

by micky

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvotre

by mvotre

hahahaha, maybe it's made from super light walking canes :wink:

mvotre

by mvotre

hmm, some things match (like the fork), but others not. Off to google!! :mrgreen:

martinko

by martinko

mvotre wrote:hahahaha, maybe it's made from super light walking canes :wink:

I see a man peeing in the logo.

(sorry for being OT)

mvotre

by mvotre

well, with that info, it appears that the answer was already in WW

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11424

the aero fairing and the seat tube are the same as mine :lol:

martinko: better than the LBS guy, who said it looks like a guy taking a dump :mrgreen:

edit: found this here on WW:
At the time that frame was introduced, it was Giant's only TT frame and although Giant did make a production run, the numbers produced were less than 500 or so. Also, because a number of the frames where slated for use by ONCE (this is prior to the teams getting the composite TT frame prototypes), availability and distribution were very limited and there are less than 50 framesets here in the US. As for the graphics, although I may be mistaken, under those decals the frame should be annodized black and as already mentioned by another forum member, painting would simply add weight. If you are not happy with the decals make your own and change them out with the current decals. The decals are not clear coated and can be easily removed with a heat gun on low heat and some patience.

and this nice one painted:

BUT, if mine got the ONCE logo, how should the paint be? Like this?

I like it, by the way

micky

by micky

I would try to get a campy record 10 speed and same paint as in the link below (although the bike in the picture was one of the team only 650c).

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/onc ... rance-sale

mvotre

by mvotre

hmmm, this one looks better (not that much, but better :lol: )

since I will use the bike, I'm not looking for a period correct build :wink:

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Personally i prefer the matt black.

The others justy look cheap and dated... :|
Official cafe stop tester

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Yes, there were two aluminium TCR frames. I had one of the regular aluminium ones, but there was also an aero version which was generally used as a time trial frame. It is this aero version you have, and it was made in much fewer numbers.

The marking is the ONCE team logo. All the production frames might have been given this logo even though yours was painted up for T Mobile. Perhaps this was a T Mobile team frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvotre

by mvotre

Valbrona wrote:Yes, there were two aluminium TCR frames. I had one of the regular aluminium ones, but there was also an aero version which was generally used as a time trial frame. It is this aero version you have, and it was made in much fewer numbers.

The marking is the ONCE team logo. All the production frames might have been given this logo even though yours was painted up for T Mobile. Perhaps this was a T Mobile team frame.

hmm, searching the pictures, I couldn't find a similar T-Mobile frame. Found some in the Once livery

jekyll man: yeah, i hear you. But I don't like the stealth look that much anymore. Maybe I can paint it like a custom custom. All black, with just giant outlined logos in yellow, in the DT and fork. Should look nice. All matte. Maybe the inside of the fork also yellow 8)

EDIT: by the way, anyone have a geo chart for the normal TCR? mine got some strange dimensions (like the really tall HT).