New Parlee Altum - Disc and Non Disc!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Pharmstrong wrote:
sawyer wrote:You really think aesthetics are totally subjective?

Perhaps have a deeper look into the subject before answering.

Perhaps you could explain your position instead of offering empty rhetoric.

My position as implied by my post is that aesthetic qualities are not just a matter of opinion.

And, in the context of a bike, are a legitimate subject of discussion on a forum.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

53x12 wrote: Now, Look feels like a "me too" company that is following the rest of the market rather than doing their own thing and doing it exceptionally well. Hope this move by Parlee isn't a foreshadowing of things to happen in the future (both for Parlee and the industry).

Look are doing their own thing, but maybe trying a little too hard with their own thing with all the integration. I really like the look 585, it's a beautiful frame. I'm not a fan of the 695. I really like the front end of the 675/795 though. The top tube flowing into the stem looks super aggressive (even if the geo isn't so) and sleek. I think most people had a problem with the hard sloping top tube. 795 and it's clean look has really grown on me. Like you said though, they're really expensive and unjustifiably so imo. For what it's worth, online reviews seem to say the new looks have retained their nice ride.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Stop squabbling Parlee are moving on, they are producing new lighter, more aero and disc specific frames.
I have no doubt that they are of the highest standard
If you want something light, well built and innovative go Altum (or ESX) if you want something light, well built and traditional go Z0
If you don't like them then go for another brand.
Parlee maintain the highest of standards and have everything covered - Aero, "Modern" and Traditional, you pay your money and take your choice!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Funny that parlee look like they are increasing front stack height and cervelo just bowed to public pressure and took 2cm of stack height out the front of the S5.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Who was responsible for the Di2 routing? They should be fired immediately. What horrible routing. Not to mention the hideous look of the frame.

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice! I test rode the ESX and it was very nice. I expect this to be even better. Offering two stacks is also a very nice touch -- only Trek also does that as far as I know. And their frames look very good in the flesh: nice and clean and elegant. Don't sweat the hump. It looks aero.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Velove wrote:ghisallo2003 - as much as it pains me to say, it's not all about you! Parlee produced this concept to lower production costs and streamline their manufacturing overheads. It just happens to make it faster for customers to get a bike and cheaper for stores to stock (as they don't need to carry inventory in various HT lengths). In turn this should make it a more attractive brand to more stores, providing customers with more locations to buy from and Parlee with greater economies of scale. Maybe the price will even come down. One day.

The other thing is: sometimes people need to ride a taller or shorter headtube - injuries or increased flexibility. This design makes that not only possible, but simple and doesn't alter the amount of spacers one can use on top of the HT.

I can't help but wonder if any of the people here carping on the look of this frame (and the ESX) have actually ever ridden one (clearly not the Altum, but the ESX)?

I agree on the motivation. It seems bike companies are focusing more on engineering costs out of bikes than improving them. I point to non-threaded bottom brackets as an earlier example and beore that moving and outsourcing production to Taiwan. The more I see this , the more I think my next bike will be a Bedford or a Firefly and not something from a major retailer.

Sloping tubes and raised head tubes not only lowers production costs, but also detracts from the beauty and aesthetics of road bikes.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Parlee Z5 and now Altum competes against Cervelo and other mass brands. I agree if you want a more traditional bike Parlee has that too, but its the Z1 and Z0 and to a lesser extent models such as Z3. They outsource the Altum because they want one size fits all as much as possible and low costs of production. These are mass market bikes. Parlee wants to sell a lot o them. If you want a high end custom bike built the old way then you are one of a few people and Parlee has a very different business model for you.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@fromtrektocolnago - nearly every brand manufactures some of their models in Asia, Colnago included. If they didn't we would all be paying a whole lot more for our bikes, the latest Cervelo handmade offering is $10 000 for a frame set only, and that is not custom.

The Altum looks pretty neat in my opinion, and I quite like the ESX as well. One thing you can be sure of when buying a Parlee is that you will get excellent ride quality and handling, and to date have an excellent reputation with customer service, in fact probably one of the best In the bike industry.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

boots2000

by boots2000

What is the largest tire that the Altum disc will take?
I see that it has longer stays than the rim brake Altum.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just dredging up this old thread which consists mostly of dislike for the look of the Parlee Altum (and ESX).

Have people's sense of aesthetics changed in the past two years with the persistence and proliferation of non-traditional frame shapes? Or de we still hate it.

I was shocked when I first saw these bikes. Still not my favorite in the looks department but now I find them attractive in a modern, individualistic sort of way.

Bias declaration: I do own an Altum. Bought it for the ride quality and room for bigger tires.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I gotta say, the look is growing on me. It doesn't look pathetically hideous anymore. It's not exactly beautiful but I would consider it as a replacement for my Z5 SLi, whereas 2 years ago I would not have.

superdx

by superdx

Altum is a seriously nice frame, but the sloping top tube is... well, not what I would prefer.

Lugan

by Lugan

I was wondering about Parlee overall recently. They were one of THE bikes to covet and own a few years ago, but now I see none of them on the road and hear about them online a lot less. Is it because the ESX and Altum have failed in the market?

Shogunade

by Shogunade

YUCK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com