New Parlee Altum - Disc and Non Disc!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah I don't think that counts, as a top cap is non-structural. Its like saying you buy a frame with 3 spacers and you get 4 different frames.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

What an ugly frame. Between this Altum and the ESX, I think Parlee might have some of the ugliest looking frames now. What a tragedy.

As someone else mentioned, at this price range the Cervelo R5 looks like a bargain compared to the Altum as you save $1000 and get a frame that looks much nicer. Even the 50-60g weight penalty of the R5 seems worth it, with the Squoval tubes and aero enhancements it provides. I use to like Parlee and their bikes. Guess it was before they went all mainstream and had to "Fred" everything up.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

For that much you can get an evo nano frameset and SISL2 hollowgrams.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i thinkthis altum makes the look 795 a beauty queen.

sawyer

by sawyer

Velove wrote:
You don't like the looks of the Altum? Great, move on. Clearly it's not for you. Conversations purely around the aesthetics of bikes are pretty pointless - for every naysayer there'll be someone else who loves the look. Conversations around the function and how that function dictates the form and to what degree are far more interesting and worthwile, they can be inclusive of facts and don't simply rely on opinion.

You really think aesthetics are totally subjective?

Perhaps have a deeper look into the subject before answering.

Shame that both Look and Parlee, who were two of the main producers of high-end classic looking frames are not continuing to develop that direction ...

Suspect there is a market for a C60 rival out there
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

^ I agree. After the Look 585 and 595 were discontinued, my interest in Look vanished. Those were two great frames and very popular. Definitely in the top list of some of the best bikes ever produced. I know Parlee still has the Z1/Z2/Z3, but this recent design change of the ESX and now Altum doesn't impress me.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I do find it interesting that Parlee dropped their bread and butter, more traditional frame (z5/z5sl) in lieu of the Altum, but I guess I can see the point since they still have the Z0-3. Do we know yet if they will be offering standard and 'tall' geo's on this yet? And if they are, which is pictured? I agree that the HT does look to be on the tall side in these pics so far, but we don't know how it's setup.

Personally, I think this could be a really good looking bike with the right build.

sawyer

by sawyer

53x12 - agree completely.

On Look ...

I have a 585 Ultra in the stable and while I like the way Look are pushing tech on the 695 and now the 795, I do think they have lost their way and are in danger of rapid decline as a frame builder.

Their frames are now too expensive and feature some integration that net-net introduce more problems than they solve. In some ways worst of all, with the 795 they are also now ugly ...

They also aren't particularly light and the aero-ness isn't backed up by anything credible that I've seen

They should push the tech but also get back to basics, with a frame like the 585 / 595, with the focus on:

- lighter
- more aerodynamic
- keeping the great ride quality

I wonder if they made a mistake completely dropping lugs ... doesn't look to be doing Colnago any harm
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

I have always thought the move away from lugs by Look (and others) was more of an accounting move to save money and make things simpler manufacturing wise. I could be wrong with that. Honestly, I'm not sure that modern carbon frames really improve upon anything over bikes like the 585/595. Sure they might be lighter. Maybe stiffer. But I wonder where lugged frames would be today if some of the same R&D was put into them. Look had a thing going for them with the lugs. Helped them stand out (along with Colnago, Time) from the masses. Now, Look feels like a "me too" company that is following the rest of the market rather than doing their own thing and doing it exceptionally well. Hope this move by Parlee isn't a foreshadowing of things to happen in the future (both for Parlee and the industry).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fa63

by fa63

weekapaugin wrote:I do find it interesting that Parlee dropped their bread and butter, more traditional frame (z5/z5sl) in lieu of the Altum, but I guess I can see the point since they still have the Z0-3. Do we know yet if they will be offering standard and 'tall' geo's on this yet? And if they are, which is pictured? I agree that the HT does look to be on the tall side in these pics so far, but we don't know how it's setup.

Personally, I think this could be a really good looking bike with the right build.

It doesn't look like they are offering a taller head tube (like the Z5 used to), but instead offering a taller "top-cap". Sounds like another way for them to save money...

53x12

by 53x12

I will say, that paint scheme on the Altum R looks really nice in the pictures.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

sawyer wrote:You really think aesthetics are totally subjective?

Perhaps have a deeper look into the subject before answering.

Perhaps you could explain your position instead of offering empty rhetoric.

RocketDriver

by RocketDriver

I got an ESX a bit ago (only have about 300 miles in on it) and have gotten a lot of attention at the local coffee shops and on the road with it so want to comment a bit on the ESX/Altum looks argument.

The bike definitely looks better in person than in pictures. The bike I have been using for the past few years is a steel bike, so my eye is definitely used to a more classic look. When I went to LBSs for test rides on the ESX and (a couple other bikes I was actually more interested in) it didn't take long for me to be happy with the ESX's look. Of course, the way it rode didn't hurt either. I was mostly test riding the ESX in the interest of completeness, but it (and Parlee's helpfulness every time I called them) won me over...including in the looks department. I'll agree though, I'd have never gone for it if I hadn't had a chance to see it in the flesh/carbon.

Out on rides I get a lot of positive feedback on the look of the bike...lots of "wow, that's a beautiful bike" and "uh, where's your rear brake?" So far not a single negative comment on aesthetics...other than my disappointment at how easily the fork's paint gets damaged if you let the handlebars turn all the way.

There are a ton of comments online about how ugly it is...and I was in that camp too, but I came around pretty quickly and I'm very happy to look over next to my desk here and see it sitting there begging for a ride. I now think it's a pretty bike...but then again, I probably would, since I bought it (and designed the paint)...but I seem to get a lot of agreement from other people, so hopefully I'm not just guilty of rose-colored glasses. :)

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

^Thats awesome you enjoy and love your bike. Thats what its all about^

I've seen an ESX up close and it didn't change my opinion, but thats just me. I will say I cant imagine a multitude of people approaching you to tell you your bike is ugly though. :)

RocketDriver

by RocketDriver

SLCBrandon wrote:^Thats awesome you enjoy and love your bike. Thats what its all about^

I've seen an ESX up close and it didn't change my opinion, but thats just me. I will say I cant imagine a multitude of people approaching you to tell you your bike is ugly though. :)

Fair point...most people aren't going to say anything nasty to your face, but I was quite surprised at the level of positive response the bike's looks have gotten. My main reason to bring up negative remarks was to give myself a chance to say the negative remark of my own. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com