Di2 firmware problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rokkstar

by rokkstar

Hello everyone,
I am new in the forum but I read some topics sometime

Now..I have an issue with my Ultegra di2 6770
Basically my problem is that after yesterday and some firmwares update, my rear derailleur is view by the system as a battery mount.
So what I think it happened is that during the update process the system wrote the battery mount firmware on the RD one.
Does anyone know how to help or heard about it somewhere??
I basically need an heavy firmware reset and have no idea how to do it!

Thanks for the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

rokkstar

by rokkstar

ms6073 wrote:Take a look at the Di2 mix-and-match--firmware v3.0.5 warning thread.

Thanks..
I read it but mine RD and FD are both 6770.. The bike is the same as BMC was selling it..
Unfortunately I don't think that is my problem..

showdown

by showdown

When one updates the firmware on a Di2 grouppo it is suggested if not required that it is done one component at a time- that is, you have to unplug all the components except the batter then update the battery, then you have to unplug all components except the front derailleur and then update the front derailleur, etc... If you try and update the firmware while all the components are attached it can fail and corrupt the system.

53x12

by 53x12

Showdown, I have had Di2 for a year now and have never had to unplug components to do a firmware update. I just plug in, do the connection check, do a firmware update and let it take care of the rest zero issues. Maybe I am lucky that it hasn't failed during a firmware update? I just follow the directions given to me during the process.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

beanbiken

by beanbiken

No need to quote the post above

Same here, I'm running DA9070 and I updated firmware last night. As above just let the etube software do it's stuff.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

No to all 3 of the above posts...
On 6770, it is not as self regulating with the e-tube project, and updates to the battery must ALWAYS be done with ONLY the battery plugged in. (Especially given that there is generally not an internal battery with 6770, there's not really a compelling reason to try and cheat this..)

Updates to other components, however, can be done with all of them (including battery) plugged in without problem.

Lastly, even 6870 and 9070 do occasionally require that only the battery (and front junction since it's part of the connection) be connected for certain firmware updates..

I would try connecting only the rear derailleur and attempt some of the troubleshooting/diagnostic stuff that e-tube allows you to do. Presumably somewhere in there is an option to overwrite/re-install its firmware, although I have not faced this specific problem before.

showdown

by showdown

On my 9070 with the internal battery I always have to update the battery separately from the other components... From there on out I have always played it safe and done one component at a time. It take a total of 5 mins more and may be unnecessary but I'm ok with that.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the external and internal battery... My suggestion would be to try and update just the battery first... if thaqt works, awesome. If not, you might have to take it to a shop that had the diagnostic tool...

Good luck!

53x12

by 53x12

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:No to all 3 of the above posts...

Yes. Why are you trying to correct me when I gave my own experience. As I said, I have never had to disconnect any of my Di2 components. So no need to correct what I experienced.

Btw, I have the SM-BTR2.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

rokkstar

by rokkstar

On 6770, it is not as self regulating with the e-tube project, and updates to the battery must ALWAYS be done with ONLY the battery plugged in. (Especially given that there is generally not an internal battery with 6770, there's not really a compelling reason to try and cheat this..)

Updates to other components, however, can be done with all of them (including battery) plugged in without problem.

Lastly, even 6870 and 9070 do occasionally require that only the battery (and front junction since it's part of the connection) be connected for certain firmware updates..

I would try connecting only the rear derailleur and attempt some of the troubleshooting/diagnostic stuff that e-tube allows you to do. Presumably somewhere in there is an option to overwrite/re-install its firmware, although I have not faced this specific problem before.

It was the first time for me to update.
When I pressed the button for the download the e-tube told me just to unplug the chrono lever.
I have the battery inside the frame with the TM01 so my guessing was that the system recognize the components but offcourse that didn't happen.
Now I sent it back to the shop and I will see.
I just think it is really weird that the system didn't know that the one it was upgrading wasn't the battery mount, but the RD..

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

53x12 wrote:

Yes. Why are you trying to correct me when I gave my own experience. As I said, I have never had to disconnect any of my Di2 components. So no need to correct what I experienced.

Btw, I have the SM-BTR2.

Because I have more experience, with more bikes, and what you said is sometimes true and sometimes false. And, given the consequences of what you said being false, it is better to operate under that assumption, to avoid the exact problem OP has.
For reference, @showdown agrees. I have in fact had the e-tube refuse to update a 9070 system until it could only detect the battery and front junction.

53x12

by 53x12

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:Because I have more experience, with more bikes, and what you said is sometimes true and sometimes false. And, given the consequences of what you said being false, it is better to operate under that assumption, to avoid the exact problem OP has.
For reference, @showdown agrees. I have in fact had the e-tube refuse to update a 9070 system until it could only detect the battery and front junction.

I was speaking from my experience and what I have done and what has happened/not happened to me. So why can you even think you can tell me I am wrong? I'm not making a hypothesis. I am just sharing what I have done. I can't be wrong as I was just stating facts about my experience.

Anyways, you said "On 6770, it is not as self regulating with the e-tube project, and updates to the battery must ALWAYS be done with ONLY the battery plugged in" which is wrong in my experience. I have 6770 with SM-BTR2 and just did a firmware update (3.0.6) last evening. I didn't have to unplug anything nor set it up such that ONLY the battery was plugged in. So be careful when you say updates to the battery "must ALWAYS be done with ONLY the battery plugged in" as that is not what I have experienced.

Again just follow what the screen says in E-tube Project and you will be fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tnc1970

by tnc1970

beanbiken wrote:
53x12 wrote:Showdown, I have had Di2 for a year now and have never had to unplug components to do a firmware update. I just plug in, do the connection check, do a firmware update and let it take care of the rest zero issues. Maybe I am lucky that it hasn't failed during a firmware update? I just follow the directions given to me during the process.

Same here, I'm running DA9070 and I updated firmware last night. As above just let the etube software do it's stuff.

Steve

+1
DA9070 with custom made sprint shifters, updated to the last firmware. Plug it in without disconnecting anything, run the etube software. Done.