Record EPS or mechanical Super Record 2015?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go electric. it is superior to mechanical and shifting does not tire your fingers. i notice my fingers actually get tired when i use the mechanical groups.

eps is more difficult to install than Di2 and is much clunkier in terms of wire thickness, not being able to choose just the right length you need, and battery charging (if you plug in the EPS charger incorrectly and damage one of the 5 pins, you are out of luck, whereas Di2 you just plug in your USB charger and voila). plus, if you happen to damage any of the wires off the EPS battery, you will need to replace the whole unit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chorus88

by chorus88

2015 mechanical Super Record.
It's newer, lighter & the rear derailleur looks great!
Do you want the second best Campagnolo eps group or Campagnolo's best mechanical group? :noidea:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

centhar

by centhar

Well, I'm getting 2015 mechanical Super Record. I rode over 10k km with both EPS and DI2. They were just "ok" and performed as specified. Just could not seen the benefit over something that is basically akin to having power windows in car.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

mike wrote:go electric. it is superior to mechanical and shifting does not tire your fingers. i notice my fingers actually get tired when i use the mechanical groups.

eps is more difficult to install than Di2 and is much clunkier in terms of wire thickness, not being able to choose just the right length you need, and battery charging (if you plug in the EPS charger incorrectly and damage one of the 5 pins, you are out of luck, whereas Di2 you just plug in your USB charger and voila). plus, if you happen to damage any of the wires off the EPS battery, you will need to replace the whole unit.

The wires was one of my biggest concerns as well. The mechanic at the bike store showed be the connector/wire set from EPS and he barely touched it and one of the plastic little clip on the end of the connector that snaps in just broke off. Compared to the Shimano ones they look very cheap and flimsy.
I mean he only but it in his fingers an it broke I watch him doing it and he didn't do crazy as this happened. He showed me that Shimano ones and they actually come with a little tool for the wire connectors. I really would stay with Campy for electronic as well but seeing that happen and hearing his experience installing both systems all the time and telling me DI2 is the way to go makes me wonder. They are also the ones who made me switch to Campy in the first place and I know they are not just trying to push Shimano.
Still, lots of great comments on this subject there.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

yes, the little clips on the side of the EPS connectors can easily break. however, that does not affect the performance of the system. i used electrical tape after i made each connection so i wouldn't have any surprise unlinkages.

di2 is really the better system in terms of custom wire lengths, smaller wires, and charging (also, u don't need a "silly" magnet to turn off your system like EPS requires).

however, in terms of looks for just the shifters and rear derailleur, the carbon weave is more beautiful than the Di2 (unless of course, you have a UD carbon frame and Di2 fits the bill perfectly).

djconnel

by djconnel

I did a 50 mile ride on Ui2 and compared to my old worn-out SRAM mix the Ui2 was a bit better in front shifting, but in rear it was insignificant. If my fingers were hypothermic maybe I'd feel differently, since it's less motion to shift. I see why people like it -- it's slick. But on this one ride it didn't make a significant difference. Maybe I'd feel different if I rode it for longer.

Front shifting with old SRAM is another matter. It usually works, anyway. Not an issue with 2015 Campy.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ I agree with statement about RD.. FD is superior in shifting Most of miles on 9070 DI2.. I jumped ship from campy because di2 is great with sat shifters
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Permon

by Permon

Thank You all for the posts.

I expected that majority of the forum will be for electronic.

As I wrote in the OP, I am a happy user of mechanical system. Actually there is no issue....no reason to go to electronic.
I have ridden the EPS few times.....well, I do not see any performance advantage over mechanical....even front shifting is "just OK"....I am not blown away but the performace of the EPS FD. Yes, it adjusts itself acc. to postion of the chain, but I do not see any difference in the speed and reliabilty of the small/big shifting.

Anyway, there are some nice features of the electronics which makes me think about it:
1) I like the EPS shifter body shape and the additional room for fingers between brake lever and bars (the shifting levers are smaller)
2) the set up is basically "install and forget"....no cable tension, no changing cables twice a season (I dont mind the battery charging)
3) the front der. adjusting itself acc. to position of the chain
4) the electronic is COOL
:beerchug:

So, I am really stuck between Mechanical vs. Electronic .... I see EPS has some nice features but the price for this features is so much higher (mechanical Super Record groupset is cheaper than "just" Record EPS kit (no cranks, no brake callipers).
Buying the Super Record mechanical gives me NEW multi-option cranks (standard-compact chainrings).
If I decide to buy Record EPS, I will have to use my current cranks....honestly, I know myself....I will want the the new cranks = much more money spent :|

And finally, I am pretty much sure, Campagnolo will issue a new EPS next year. This fact is also important for me....I do not want to spent so much money to have an "outdated groupset for a full price"

Life is soooo difficult! :mrgreen:

Starter

by Starter

I've tried Di2 and EPS, and prefer EPS. But while both are certainly neat, I think the only reason any pro uses them for anything other than a time trial is purely because of sponsor pressure to promote their top-tier group sets.

Don't get me wrong, they shift flawlessly and easily, they are near-silent, and maintenance is great. But in terms of absolute performance, I still think mechanical campy beats EPS, purely on shifting speed. You can dump or pile-on much faster, and this is absolutely a measurable performance advantage on the vast majority of road courses... One for which I, at least, will happily suck up noise, an occasional missed shift, and periodic light wrench-time (the last being something I enjoy, truth be told).

I guess I view the current crop of electronic shifting groupos kind of how I looked at automatic Porsches back in the day. Up until the PDK dual-clutch automatic manual (read: automatic) was released, the standard manual transmission was just better. Trickier to use, but better. I think electronic shifting on bikes has some maturing to do. I think it's absolutely the future, but until they sort out the shift speed issue, I'll stick to mechanical. It's close though. I could eat these words by the next generation, who knows.

I also ride in hilly terrain, so dumping and piling is key. If I was riding mostly flats or time trials, where the ability to dump and pile isn't such a concern, I'd definitely be on EPS.
Oof.

dmp

by dmp

I have never ridden either EPS or Di2 (I'm on 2011 SR on one bike and 10speed Record on the other), but my mechanic/ shop owner just came back from Interbike where he was able to ride 2015 mechanical SR, and he couldn't stop raving about it, especially the front shifting (and his usual bike is SR EPS). (and Starter, I agree with you about Porsches- I drive a 1995 993 with a 6 speed clutch!)

rmerka

by rmerka

I don't know...when you change Di2 to the "Very Fast" setting from the default that sucker just goes up or down the cassette so fast the chain doesn't even engage each cog on the way up or down. It just fly's right through. I personally think the speed issue is a draw until I see a side by side video with a timer.

Permon

by Permon

I pulled the trigger.... mechanical Super Record ordered today. Will arrive just before Xmas:-)

octav

by octav

Good to hear that mechanical " freaks" still exist :D ;) I am upgrading this winter from Record 10 to Record 11 mechanical

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have 2015 Sr. let me tell you mechincal is far from dead. It's spectacular in operation.
I build a lot of bikes with di2 and there is no way I'd take the di over the new SR.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice!.
I'm still not convinced that electric shifting is the future of bicycling. Lol... shoot me. Stone me. Run away! Run away!!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com