Record EPS or mechanical Super Record 2015?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

Hello guys,

I am about to buy a new groupset. I have been on Campa stuff for 21years.
I was already decided to buy Record EPS. Now, there is new mechanical Super Record on the way.
I like the improvements on the new groupset....and I am happy user of Campagnolo mechanical groups.

Anyway, I wanted to try the electronic.

One of my concern about EPS is, that it is been around for 4 years and I would be
unhappy to buy this expensive stuff to find out that Campagnolo is about introduce a new electronic vesion in 2015.

What do You suggest?
Do You think a new EPS is knocking on the door?

Thanx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arthurf

by arthurf

Depends if you like the look of the new Campy groupsets, personally I prefer the older 5 arm style chainsets.

I've moved from mechanical Record to SR EPS and I wouldn't go back, it shifts perfectly even when filthy, runs silently and no cable tension to worry about!

jimborello

by jimborello

A new EPS is at least one year away, I dont think they will be changing it anytime soon. My plan was to buy the new SR for a ww proyect I have, but after trying EPS I think you should get that one if you have the money, it is so much better than the mechanical.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I'm a Campy mechanical group set guy myself and talked to my buddy who owns a high end bike shop about campy EPS or DI2.
He told me to stay away from EPS since it is more trouble to install and not as almost perfect as DI2.
I love campy but I want trouble free electronic if I would decide to go that route.
I also love the new campy crank design.
What's your thought between these two ?

jellybone69

by jellybone69

I've had all the grouposets and it's like a lot of things in life, whatever you become used to sort of grows on you and you end up preferring that.. again typically... And each groupset is completely unique, be it Sram, Shimano, Campy and mechanical vs electronic...

I would lean towards saying the eGroups are overall superior, they just work and NEVER go wrong, rain or shine they just keep shifting perfect.. I have the first Di2 and got it when they first launched (I think they were like 6k back then!!!) and I can honestly say that on that group I've never had one missed shift, or the dreaded accidental shift... It just plain works... Plus of course the remote shift options are super cool, especially on those tough long climbs that your on the upper bar and have the ease of shifting with a thumb..

But that's not to say mechanical sucks, a perfectly tuned mechanical group is more rewarding to ride, like manual sports car vs DCT, a bit more of an analog experience.. But here too, that perfect shifting only lasts so long, then tuning is required...

Got the new Di2 on my Look 695 and for the first time I have had a issue with the chain jumping off, but I think that is more a problem with who originally tuned it and the non-Shimano chainring.. Plus I I just built my first EPS bike, doesn't have the bells and whistles of Shimano but I actually prefer it..

Go EPS!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Been wanting eps for a while but like the look of the new SR so much I gona have to have it..
I only need shifters and mechs.. It's also 1/3 the price..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@jellybone69: that's a good well balanced post.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

That is weird that there is more of an issue with the installation of an EPS system. It was easy or me. Bolt on. Plug in. Sync front and rear derailleurs. Ride. Oh yeah, I forgot, you had to charge the battery. Well I did that the night before the installation.

Even if it took you longer, the amount of maintenance is substantially less. It looks nicer too [less cables and what not].

The only thing that is better on the mechanical shifting is the multiple shift is faster than the EPS.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I wanted a new bike now.. Been campy for 20 plus as well. Didn't want to get EPS then be replaced.. So saved some money and just went Di2.
My wife's bike is DI2 and I like all the sat shifters.. And FD operation is smooth.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I have both SR EPS (v2) and SR mechanical. No issues with the EPS install -- much easier than the mechanical (for me). Seat time on the bike with mechanical SR has decreased siginificantly. EPS rocks!

Frankie13

by Frankie13

How about additionally drilling into the frame required during EPS install?
That's at least another story I was told you wouldn't have to do with DI2.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

How about additionally drilling into the frame required during EPS install?

willieboy

by willieboy

I'm fortunate to have two Campy mechanical bikes. One with SR11 and one with Chorus 11. Both shift flawlessly. I wanted to upgrade my SR11 bike to EPS but the expense had me being patient. Recently I came across a bike on Craigslist (2013 Giant Deft Advanced SL) with Ultegra DI2. I bought the complete bike for the same price as the EPS upgrade. I must day, electric is really nice. I know it's Shimano but I really like it. EPS is in my future :) I'm really a Campy guy but for the money I had the chance to try electric and now know I really like it. In fact, I'll keep the Giant as it's a really good bike to ride. Now to convince the bride why I need the EPS upgrade :)

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Frankie13 wrote:How about additionally drilling into the frame required during EPS install?

No additional drilling required on my EPS V2 install.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't listen to the naysayers about EPS (especially those who compare it negatively to Di2). EPS is absolutely flawless in operation and is fully e equal of Di2 innshifting performance. If anything, I prefer the tactile feel of the EPS shifters. The set-up is no more difficult than Di2, either.

If there is anything that Di2 does better than EPS, it is the battery. If you forget to charge your battery (easy to do, because they last so damn long), with Di2, you can just throw-on another battery, whereas you don't have that option with EPS. to be fair, a 20-minute charge will get you through a long ride, but still, when people are waiting for you...

Versus mechanical shifting, the effortless precision of EPS or Di2 is really something to experience. Like you, I have almost 30 years on Campagnolo mechanical groups. Electric shifting is significantly better than any mechanical group from the perspective of it's shifting performance. Do you loose a bit of tactile 'experience' with electric? Maybe, but it is sure better Never to miss a shift...