Record EPS or mechanical Super Record 2015?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

sugarkane wrote:I have 2015 Sr. let me tell you mechincal is far from dead. It's spectacular in operation.
I build a lot of bikes with di2 and there is no way I'd take the di over the new SR.

Please, more detailed impressions from ride.
What is the front shifting like? How does it feel compared to 2014 version?
How does the hoods feel like? I love the new look of the shifters (all black....tiny detail, but the shifters look so different :thumbup: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

VERY VERY INTERESTINg VIDEO comparing speed of shifting SRAM vs. Campa vs. Shimano.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_yPgF6YM_c

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@permon: I don't speak the language... What did that video conclude? Is that 1,2,3,4 list the rankings or just the order they were shown in the frames. I really didn't take away anything from that video.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

Unless I have missed it, no one has mentioned weight.... I looked at upgrading to EPS when my shifter snapped, but when i added up the weights I am sure the EPS came out a couple of hundred g's heavier and when you are watching the g's to me it didn't add up spending $$$ more and adding weight? To me this was the deciding factor.... this is WW after all... :D

Cheers,
Lig.

RussellS

by RussellS

I'll add a comment. Although I have nothing to say about the original question of "Record EPS or mechanical SR". I have three bikes with Campagnolo 9 speed Ergo. Yes back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. One with 10 speed Ergo. Two with Shimano STI 10 speed. And one Shimano Di2 10 speed, 7970 group. I really don't notice much difference when I ride any of them. They all work perfectly. The Di2 is faster shifting in the front. But I don't shift the front much during a ride. Back shifting is close to a draw for all the systems. They all shift the rear very fast. Its probably hundredths of a second difference between all of them. Hundredths of a second, not even tenths of a second. If front derailleur shifting is your only concern in life, then electronic is definitely for you. Otherwise, its immaterial.

Shimano does have a BIG advantage over Campagnolo with gear selection. Shimano makes 9 and 10 speed cassettes with a 32 or 34 cog. And Shimano makes its Ultegra and 105 11 speed cassettes in 11-32. SRAM has 11 speed cassettes with 32 or 36 big cogs. Campagnolo limits you to a 29 cog on their 11 speed cassette. I prefer a 32 rear cog over a 29 rear cog when climbing mountains.
Last edited by RussellS on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bungis

by bungis

Calnago wrote:@permon: I don't speak the language... What did that video conclude? Is that 1,2,3,4 list the rankings or just the order they were shown in the frames. I really didn't take away anything from that video.

I'd say it's obsolete at this point unless you want to compare 9000 to SRAM Red. The Super Record and 7970 in it are outdated.

Cool video nonetheless.

Permon

by Permon

Lig wrote:Hi all,

Unless I have missed it, no one has mentioned weight.... I looked at upgrading to EPS when my shifter snapped, but when i added up the weights I am sure the EPS came out a couple of hundred g's heavier and when you are watching the g's to me it didn't add up spending $$$ more and adding weight? To me this was the deciding factor.... this is WW after all... :D

Cheers,
Lig.

Well, I do not know what You were comparing, but weights of mechanical SR is very close to SR EPS!

Yes, EPS deraileurs are heavier by +90grams, BUT the EPS shifters are -80grams lighter than mechanical ones. Difference +10grams for EPS.

Battery and wires? I quess weight of all mechanical housings and cables are quite at the same level as battery. Again, not much weight penalty for the EPS.

I am pretty much sure the EPS is not more like +50grams over mechanical.
Do Your match again. :smartass: :wink:

touring

by touring

Hi guys.

I do not understand the posts that adresses issues with installing EPS, cable issues or whatever it maybe. Just installed 2 sets of 2015 Record EPS on both mine and my wife's 2015 Bianchi Oltre XR 2's.
No hassle whatsoever, I had the tools to do it (wire/magnet/stick) and it really took less time than the mechanical eq. Setup really easy. Works perfectly when testing, remains to see if it continues on the road. This is my first electronic setup so no experience here. My previous 2012 Oltre has SR, really happy.

I haven'n heard any probike shop recomend EPS over Di2. Understandable given margins on Campy is really low compared to Shimano/SRAM and the price much to high.

Listen carefully Campagnolo, if you do not want to die slowly and painfully: Lower your price quite a bit and go OEM.. Your not that much better than competition..

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Totally agree re install and operation of EPS. Very straightforward and the set up after looking at the Campagnolo video is very easy. Operation on the bike is very smooth and faultless so far!

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

As some of you have maybe read I had a problems with Chorus shifting. I managed to mostly fix it but I sold it because I wanted to go higher anyway. My question isn't Record vs EPS, but rather Record vs Di2. Heart says Record, brain says Di2.

I like to play with my bikes but on the other hand they are still a tools so the less I need to worry about them the better. Can someone compare the shifting of Di2 to properly set-up Campy 2015? I dont care about the front but about the RD. I used to like Di2 very much - each shift has come with nice metal bang (amplified by a big hollow Corima hub) and always precise...