Cento1SR ISP and Ritchey seat post stubby question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Hello WW,

The Ritchey stubby was supplied with the frame and also comes with carbon spacers and this hard plastic insert which does rest on the seat mast and I think is to protect the carbon from cracking when applying torque to secure the stubby. Would someone be able to explain to me what exactly the little screw is for? It does threat into the plastic insert but would not let it rest flush on the mast if screw insert.
What I am missing here?

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Hi,
I try to keep this question alive since I haven't gotten a respond yet.
I still hope someone is using this setup and can give me a hint!

Thanks WW !

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Undo the screw, put that part all the way inside the seat tube and screw it out a bit, so it will stay in place?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I do not think the plastic plug and the carbon spacers are Ritchey parts, meaning they were supplied by Wilier. In respect of the carbon spacers, I do not think that it is critical that they should be used. As for the plastic plug, that's all I think it is - a plug to go in the seat tube. I do not think that this plastic plug is to help prevent cracking if you over torque. If you were using another pattern of topper there is the possibility of rainwater going down the seat tube if the topper is set fairly high, but this does not apply with the Ritchey one because the 'split' is fairly short and there is also a min insertion mark at the top of the split. With some seat toppers the split goes the whole length of the topper and you can get rainwater go down the seat tube in use.

Method01

by Method01

I don't want to hijack this topic but what is the required torque for the mast topper on a cento 1sr ISP?

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Max 5nm is printed on the stubby but Wilier's manual does say 3.5nm max.

Method01

by Method01

Frankie13 wrote:Max 5nm is printed on the stubby but Wilier's manual does say 3.5nm max.

Where did you find a manual? I can't find one online, my LBS hasn't got one..

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Came with the frame

Method01

by Method01

Frankie13 wrote:Came with the frame

Strange.. :wink:. I mailed Wilier for a manual but no answer yet.

Does the manual mention an alu shim/insert for the seat tube like they show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4IUSDKTlg#t=129?

wingguy

by wingguy

Method01 wrote:Does the manual mention an alu shim/insert for the seat tube like they show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4IUSDKTlg#t=129?

He's using the old one as a contrast - "They've taken out this round metal shim..."

Method01

by Method01

wingguy wrote:
Method01 wrote:Does the manual mention an alu shim/insert for the seat tube like they show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4IUSDKTlg#t=129?

He's using the old one as a contrast - "They've taken out this round metal shim..."

Oh ok, wasn't clear for me. Thanks! :thumbup:

joestralia

by joestralia

Hey Frankie13,

I've just run across your post and as an owner of a New Cento 1SR, I had the same question! I believe that hard plastic plug has no purpose except for measuring the minimum insert for the stubby. If you notice, the screw coincides with the min insert .

Your frameset came with an assortment of carbon spacers ranging from 2mm to 10mm; and I believe that as long as you don't violate the min insert rule, then you can raise the seat height as high as 35 mm. I cut my seatmast exactly to my desired seat height (taking into account the dimensions, of the stubby, rails, padding etc) ; measured the old bike 3 times, measured the new Cento 1SR 4 times, and cut the seatmast only once! My first time cutting carbon yet it came out perfect! If (for whatever reason) you need to raise the seat, you add the appropriate size spacer. If you have to lower, then you have to cut the mast again. By the way, I hope you saved the remnant from the cut seatmast, as that can someday serve as a spacer. Really, the only reason for the spacers, is when it comes to re-selling the frame, because the next guy probably is not built with your dimension.

The bottom line is that the stubby sits directly on top of the carbon without that plastic plug (or whatever it's called). And although the max tourque is 5nm, I went much less. I did a recheck, and no problems!

Peace,
Joe

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your reply. I did the same as you did and measured the hell out of it before I did cut the seat-mast. There are quite a few things to consider since I changed from my Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle to Bontragers new paradigm carbon who had a different height and which became very quick my favorite saddle. The cut came out perfect and I didn't use any spacers that came with the frame. I did keep the cut piece from the mast because I thought the same as you did that this peace could come in handy at some point. The plastic insert I found out is actually the batterie holder for Shimano's internal DI2 one. It's a strait forward and super clean setup and cradles the batterie perfectly. The little screw fits perfect in the batteries grove to secure the assembly.
The Cento1 SR is by far the best looking and riding bike I ever owned and this comes from somebody who owned Pinarello Prince, Dogma2 and several Canyon (Ultimate CF , Stealth) still current and a Madone.
I'm a Campagnolo guy, but my DA DI2 set up for the Cento blows me away every time I ride the bike.
Campy mechanical stays on the Canyon.

Cheers,
Frank
Last edited by Frankie13 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Double post!

Method01

by Method01

I have a question :). When you place the stubby on the ISP. Does it have to be pushed all the way down on the ISP (so that the stubby really sits on the top of the ISP), is that necessary? And if you raise the saddle with let us say 1cm, but still in within the minimum insert, are spacers really required?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com