SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

...wireless!
...the way it shifts is ....different. Left shifter > down. Right shifter > up. Both pushed is for front der.
Lets see how it is going to work.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... oup-42174/
Last edited by Permon on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I sure as hell won't be an early adopter with Sram's history. Still, I'll follow with interest. Nothing wrong with competition. Weeds out the weak.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Looks really good! :)
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Looks really good! :)
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oh my... and wireless no less! I'm with @ergott... let me know how that all works out for you guys who gotta have it. I guess you'll now have to worry about changing or charging the batteries in every component. Fun stuff.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rmerka

by rmerka

This device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

I'm assuming that this will have to apply to this product, like every other wireless product sold in the US, which would make it a difficult sell for me...

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

The shifting design still sounds like one of the worst possible methods I can imagine, no thanks. The only thing I think could save it is sequential shifting out of the box.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm really looking forward to this!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Not a fan of SRAM after 3 years of Red on 2 of my bikes, changing over to DA 9000 on my Parlee.
I find Shimano more reliable in the long run.
My trust in SRAM is greatly diminished. It might be lighter from a WW perspective, but I have had several issues with SRAM that I have never had on my DA equipped bikes.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

eric

by eric

rmerka wrote:This device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

The protocol they listed in the patent is a published protocol. It's designed for industrial control in very (electronically) noisy environments. I expect it'll work pretty well in the much less noisy environment on the road.

The protocol also supports encryption. If implemented correctly would make it extremely difficult for a hacker to create something that could cause unwanted shifting. (encryption and security are my day job).

I wonder if it's lighter than current Red?

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

fingers crossed for unveil at interbike next month

rmerka

by rmerka

What do you think something like this would do to it? I don't know what frequency it runs on though. For the average Joe like me, not a concern, but just one jerk in the crowd at a critical point in a race...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M1SX8437&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Home+Emergency+%26+Safety-_-9SIA50M1SX8437&ef_id=U3LHiAAAAYmAGxAY:20140822023038:s

eric

by eric

The Sram frequency will not be the same as cell phone, etc.

Go find the patent and then read the protocol documentation like I did. I linked to it in a post when this last came up. Then you can come back with intelligent criticism.

rmerka

by rmerka

Jesus, it's not like I called your kid ugly or something. It was a simple question (that's what ? are for right) and not criticism. But since you're such a gentleman about it, I did look it up and found my answer. The answer is yes, in fact that specific device for sale by newegg (illegal BTW in the states but looks like they ship them anyway) will shut the 802.15.4 system down whether it runs in the 900MHz band or the 2400MHz band.

Zoose

by Zoose

I'm definitely looking forward to getting hands on and hoping the shifting isn't too weird to pick up

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com