SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenpg

by allenpg

I saw the SRAM wireless group on Kristin Armstrong's TT bike yesterday at the ATOC. The "wires" on the bars looked WAY cleaner than what has been posted earlier. However, I'm sticking with my Di2 for awhile... :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Are some Garmin riders at the Giro not riding the new electric SRAM? No cables at all on some bikes I saw the last few days. If no major problems during that 3 week race, I would think they are for relaese next year :wink:

Richt1978

by Richt1978

Garmin Cannondale are on Shimano.

pastronef

by pastronef

^ yep, from 2012

Delorre

by Delorre

Richt1978 wrote:Garmin Cannondale are on Shimano.

I realised when seeing a video about the garmin bikes. :oops: But Pozzovivo was running one on his Giro TT bike and possibly also on his regular road bike? Bike was parked with drivetrain facing a wall, but looked like electronic Sram..

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Maybe I missed it but no one has mentioned that the power source will be the little 3 volt 2032 coin battery - one in each mech. Apparently they won't draw power except to shift so life is said to be very good for such a small power source. I have maintained a philosophical opposition to needing a battery to ride my bike. However if this group works I could be convinced.

Another interesting thing to consider would be a frame manufactured exclusively for wireless - no cable stops or ports for the shifting side of things.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Will bike manufactures make a frame specifically for SRAM wireless and then another for Di2/EPS/mechanical/hydraulic? Seems like a lot of expense to have a layup specifically for wireless without the ports and what not. Seems like most are going the "future" proof route rather than a specific frame for one method of shifting.

tinozee

by tinozee

I would bet ten bucks that the groups that now use wires, will all eventually be wireless, and the elec vs mechanical specific frame stuff will be history.

Do you remember when crappy bike computers even had wires running down? Or early SRM power meters? Stuff evolves. I'll check back here in 6 years and see if Di2 still has wires.

KWalker

by KWalker

The only thing I want out of electronic shifting at this point is the levers to feel the same i.e. di2 having the same swing as normal Shimano levers. Other than that can't really complain anymore.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tranzformer

by tranzformer

tinozee wrote:I would bet ten bucks that the groups that now use wires, will all eventually be wireless, and the elec vs mechanical specific frame stuff will be history.

Do you remember when crappy bike computers even had wires running down? Or early SRM power meters? Stuff evolves. I'll check back here in 6 years and see if Di2 still has wires.

We aren't talking about what will happen in 72 months from now. But rather what will happen within the next 6-12 months as SRAM wireless is eventually going to be released to the market.

So the question is, what will the big bike manufacturers do when SRAM wireless is out and Shimano and Campy still use wires. Will they really make a specific frame just for SRAM wireless? And a completely different one for Di2/EPS/mechanical/hydraulic? I doubt it. Maybe when Shimano moves over to wireless, then there might be enough market share. But not just SRAM. How many OEM builds come with SRAM nowadays anyways? How many pro teams ride SRAM?

tinozee

by tinozee

I just meant it's going to gradually shift away from the different frames designed for di2/eps wires. I doubt anything will happen across the industry in a snap, sort of like with disc brakes. So who cares if there aren't frames with no cable guides yet, just leave them or dremel them off until the ideal frames comes out.

Raineman

by Raineman

Since so many high end bikes have swappable ports for mechanical/electrical it would make more sense to make a cover for the port rather than a new frame

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Exactly Raineman. Just too expensive to do a specific mold and layups just for SRAM wireless.

superdx

by superdx

I'm kind of excited for this, not because I find anything wrong with my Di2 setup, but because the ability to run SRAM's hydraulic road rim brakes. I would like to switch to road discs but the lightest wheelsets out right now are mostly CX hacks and are heavier than rim brake counterparts. Here's hoping SRAM actually has a good 1st generation release, their history is really crappy. 2nd/3rd gen is dramatically better!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tinozee wrote:I would bet ten bucks that the groups that now use wires, will all eventually be wireless, and the elec vs mechanical specific frame stuff will be history.

This is a certainty. If the Sram product is a good one, than the others will have to go wireless. Wireless is a substantial improvement in customer benefit - just too big a competitive advantage to ignore.

tranzformer wrote: Just too expensive to do a specific mold and layups just for SRAM wireless.

Absolutely, but when all electronic is wireless it would make more sense. We'd be looking at some pretty clean frames - just something for the rear brake until it too becomes electronic and wireless :shock:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com