SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

Fluoro7 wrote:I guess I haven't been back in the cycling scene long enough, but where does some of the SRAM negativity come from? I love my SRAM mechanical, feel is awesome, would never have gone Shimano myself (YMMV). Sure Campy would be nice, but not at my budget :oops:

Sram made their FD wiggle in 2012... since then shimano released some fantastic groupsets that I feel have simply ended the discussion.

KWalker

by KWalker

Shimano actually came up with the concept behind YAW/canted front shifting a decade before in one of their MTB groups.

I'd say doubletap was pretty innovative and Sram offered a light group with good performance at a much cheaper price for years. At the time people weren't very happy with 7900 over 7800 for a lot of reasons and Sram Red was lighter, cheaper, and honestly didn't have many issues. Force seemed to and years later people were snapping Red rear derailleur springs like dried leaves. Then came the disc brake and hydro recalls and Sram developed a reputation for a lack of durability.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

to be honest the recalled sram disc brakes were performing excellent (i used them in cold weather for 8month til they got me the new ones, i didnt go mechanical..)
the new ones (which arent just a fix but a completely new model...) are just as good, the lever a lil nicer even. everything was very very well taken care of for a recall and if anything i feel more confident buying from them, knowing they'll fix and replace/upgrade everything for free incl. paying my LBS for installation if they mess something up.

dont get me wrong, shimano is very good as well, but i could hardly recommend dura ace over red22 or the opposite. (there's a point for Di2 over red22, obviously, until this sram wireless electric thing comes out).

Right now i've bikes with latest sram red 22, sram force 22, sram X01, 2013 shimano XTR, shimano dura ace

All these are good. My favorite are the X01 and red22 though mostly because X01 is 1x and very reliable shifting on the MTB compared to my 2x10 XTR (which is a 2x - it's not really a shimano issue per se, its an awesome 2x), and the dura ace is plenty fine but a little finicky to setup. (i dont care about double tap vs shimano shifting, i like both)

Basically, forget the so-called reputation if that's what stopping you, its based on fanboism spam. You can't go wrong with either brand at these price points. (I can't speak about campagnolo since i've never had these, but i suspect its pretty good too)

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

The only big difference I noticed for me is when I moved from the stock gossamer crank to the FSA Kforce light, front shifting is freakin amazing now... with lowly Rival (2012). I'd go Red at some point, but probably Red Wireless :)
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Fluoro7 wrote:The only big difference I noticed for me is when I moved from the stock gossamer crank to the FSA Kforce light, front shifting is freakin amazing now... with lowly Rival (2012).

This doesn't have much to do with Sram either way. Though if you like KForce Light shifting, you'll love Sram Exogram!
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Chiva

by Chiva

Will this gruppo be debuted at the Tour? When will it be for sale? Any inside knowledge?

tinozee

by tinozee

I thought I read somewhere PR debut at tdf, not retail until 2016. But this was from a rumor site, and it's so far out it's impossible to know.

uraqt

by uraqt

Wasn't it at tour of California last year, with fake wires? Got to love the UCI enforcing the rules :)

C

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Did Bardet win on SRAM wireless group at the Critérium du Dauphiné? Does it come with wireless motors too or are those optional?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Too clever by half. Did you watch his descent?

tinozee

by tinozee

Yes he did and there were some nice zoom in shots on the Eurosport footage. Looks like it works great to me and looks sleek with no wires. That descent was ballsy.

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

New pics of the SRAM Wireless : http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post/ ... qu-en-2016

It appears that SRAM works always on this groupset. Availability for 2016 at 100%, not in 2015.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

game changer! looking refined and it would be rad if they offered different color covers for the fashion weenies. I can honestly say Ive got little interest in going electronic but if I did wireless sure would be awesome. Just image it on the new Madone! Thanks http://www.matosvelo.fr for the pics and post. Nice mag.
SRAM has really suffered some media hits due to shifting "problems" and broken rear derailleurs. I really hope this is a home run for them.
Now back to my Campy record bike.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

weenie

by weenie

they also say these will be used for the tdf of this year regardless
does look pretty refined

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I can't wait to take a test ride on a bike with these.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades