SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

bikedoc wrote:Seen it, tried it, staying with DA mechanical

Yes that's a tease :lol: more details please :D
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

My guess is he's talking about electronic vs mechanical in general...........here we go again......

grover

by grover

I've ridden it.

Not much to say that isn't already known. Right shift paddle for harder at cassette, left shift paddle easier at cassette. Both left and right shift paddle together to trigger front derailleur. Different but took me about 30 seconds to get the hang of it (then I got back on mechanical red and hit both levers to change the front derailleur - it had become that natural)

Shift levers have a nice mechanical feel, not just a button.

As far as function...it works. Gears change as they should like a mechanical groupset.

I've also played around with it off a bike. The shifter would trigger the front derailleur from more than 20metres away (probably further but we couldn't be bothered walking further). Not sure if that's good or bad.

There's a few specifics I'm not sure on yet. I don't know if sequential shifting is an option. That would remove the need for hitting both levers at the same time (eg. when eating)

I'm probably most keen on wireless single ring for the cyclocross bike (hopefully combined with updated hydro discs - smaller hoods). No cables to maintain (or wiring - fully sealed frame) for CX is a big drawcard. And single ring once again removes the need to hit both levers at once. Fingers crossed for a wireless rear derailleur with a clutch in it for chain retention.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

No not a mechanical vs electric thing just an overall shift quality thing. Sticking a shimano chain set, chain and cassette on would probably help it a lot.

It works as is but it still has some catching up to do, I think both shimanos and campags electric shifting is nicer.

weenie

by weenie

can you shift many gears at once in a single "click" ?

grover

by grover

Yes, hold and it shifts multiple until you let it go.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

grover wrote:I'm probably most keen on wireless single ring for the cyclocross bike (hopefully combined with updated hydro discs - smaller hoods).
Please clarify. How do hoods on SRAM electric compare in size and shape to Red mechanical? Who needs huge ass hoods when they don't need to contain mechanical components? Some people with smaller hands prefer smaller circumference hoods. Plus, this is WW - smaller hoods are lighter. Or make different size hoods.

CBJ

by CBJ

No wireless dics brakes - so disappointed :D

showdown

by showdown

The hoods on the SRAM electric group are totally redesigned. They are much much narrower than the mechanical hoods. They're more squared off than Di2 but feel about the same size. In general the levers and hoods are in every way more rectilinear than Shimano's more organic lines. Neither here nor there just different. They feel nice in the hands (I wear small gloves) much like my Di2 hoods. A huge improvement over the mechanical hoods.

The sprint/climbing satellite shifters are more like buttons than switches... So more for climbing than sprinting.

Other than that, it looks and feels very slick and totally production ready. There's a whole bunch of other stuff that hasn't been reported on but I can't say more about it.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

grover wrote:
I'm probably most keen on wireless single ring for the cyclocross bike (hopefully combined with updated hydro discs - smaller hoods). No cables to maintain (or wiring - fully sealed frame) for CX is a big drawcard. And single ring once again removes the need to hit both levers at once. Fingers crossed for a wireless rear derailleur with a clutch in it for chain retention.

+1 to that, I'm still riding 2011 Red but in a 1x10 with CX1 front ring

allenpg

by allenpg

grover wrote:I'm probably most keen on wireless single ring for the cyclocross bike (hopefully combined with updated hydro discs - smaller hoods). No cables to maintain (or wiring - fully sealed frame) for CX is a big drawcard. And single ring once again removes the need to hit both levers at once. Fingers crossed for a wireless rear derailleur with a clutch in it for chain retention.

Considering how big SRAM is in CX, this is already in the works... :D

mattjevans

by mattjevans

allenpg wrote:Considering how big SRAM is in CX, this is already in the works... :D

But no prototype spotted yet...

kkibbler

by kkibbler

^^ Wait for road season to taper off and CX season to warm up.

spartan

by spartan

anyone know when SRAM will officially launch the group...

getting pretty late for oem bikes for 2016
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

mattjevans

by mattjevans

In normal bike industry langugage, "2016" groups are usually available mid-late 2015, so this is definitely a "2017" product...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com