SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

myungjinkim

by myungjinkim

When do you release?
Too cool.

customtune

by customtune

Wireless SRAM TT shifters on Jan Frodeno's new Canyon triathlon bike at the Ironman European Championships
See SlowTwitch article for details http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Frod ... _5181.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Apparently SRAM is keeping the RED moniker.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Can't be long before an official statement is released?

Broady

by Broady

Wish I knew a release date for this, about to get my custom started in the next month or two, would be nice not to have a frame full of holes.

Marin

by Marin

Will there be an Android app to make all other bikes in the peloton shift to 39-25? ;D

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

I don't think this has been discussed yet but does anyone have a clue about the weight? Light weight is the name of the Sram game so anything less would surprise me.

BmanX

by BmanX

It will be very interesting to see the final weight of this RD and FD. The front shifters should be able to have a lower weight than currently I would hope to offset some of the added weight on the RD And FD. Either way, once this is offered to the public I am in for the Road and TT bike. When they offer this on MTB, I am in as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

eric

by eric

Marin wrote:Will there be an Android app to make all other bikes in the peloton shift to 39-25? ;D

The industrial control protocol Sram is using, and the chips they are using (according to the patent application), support encryption. From a quick read it appears to be reasonably well designed. (I design crypto systems in my day job).

I don't know if Sram (or the protocol stack they are using) are using the encryption and if they support it correctly. There are many pitfalls possible in encryption implementations. But the potential to be secure against the resources a typical attacker could apply is there.

Any weight comparison would have to include the cables or wires on the competing system.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You don't need to take control of a control system to wreck havoc.

Denial of use for extended duration of time if suffice to cause chaos.

Just need a high power radio jammer stationed at strategic locations along a race route to cause complete chaos for users. Example : that 200m up a 25% grade in a race.

eric

by eric

The industrial control protocol is designed to work in an electrically noisy environment. And Sram did additional work to make it more reliable. That's the primary focus of the patent.

That makes jamming more difficult, requiring more power and a larger antenna.

Attackers could fray derailleur cables too. It's just a different avenue of attack.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Guys is it possible SRAM will have a new crank? Image

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm sure they've don't a lot of thinking about how to avoid such interference, but the frayed dérailleur cable analogy is a bad one. The difference being they would need actual physical access to the bike. That alone is a big difference. And for whatever reason, hacking software etc seems like fun harmless challenge to a lot of folks. As such, I'm sure there will be people who try. Physically tampering with someone's bike , while effectively the same thing, just seems taboo. As it should be. Welcome to cyberfun. Will be interesting to watch how it all evolves.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bfno

by bfno

Apparently those cranks are de-badged S-Works cranks. From memory some of the AG2R riders are using them as SRAM don't make cranks longer than 177.5.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com