SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ITTY

by ITTY

BmanX wrote:
But you still have the brake cables...

These can be hidden easily.

Right. Almost as easy as shift cables.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

KWalker

by KWalker

Quite a few SRAM employees are on the group locally, but very coy about it. One simply said "There is still work to do on it" whatever that means. Looked really bulky in real life.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

KWalker wrote:Quite a few SRAM employees are on the group locally, but very coy about it. One simply said "There is still work to do on it" whatever that means. Looked really bulky in real life.

I'm surprised they're that open with testing it. Not surprising that it will be bulky if they're shoving a battery in each component. Now, let's hope it stays light even if it's bulky! :mrgreen:

deek

by deek

KWalker wrote:Quite a few SRAM employees are on the group locally, but very coy about it. One simply said "There is still work to do on it" whatever that means. Looked really bulky in real life.

What SRAM employees live in the Bay area? They don't have an office there.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I think what he meant was will there be a clutch version of the wireless rear mech, and will there be hydro versions of the wireless shifters

I would certainly like the former

BmanX

by BmanX

With he new chaingrings you do not need a clutch rd. It is complete overkill when using the new high/low front rings. I have run 1 X 10 on road and MTB without using the new chainrings with zero issues so now that we have new chainrings, something like a clutch RD is IMO a complete waste.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Chader09

by Chader09

BmanX wrote:With he new chaingrings you do not need a clutch rd. It is complete overkill when using the new high/low front rings. I have run 1 X 10 on road and MTB without using the new chainrings with zero issues so now that we have new chainrings, something like a clutch RD is IMO a complete waste.

Personally, I think you have it backwards, at least for MTB use.

The clutched derailleur is one of the best improvements in shifting, chain retention, and near silence for MTB riding. Without a clutch, the derailleur is free to bounce and flop allowing the chain to go all over the place. This leads to ghost shifting and dropped chains.

The clutch maintains better tension on the chain especially in bumpy terrain. That feature is the primary reason we can run 1x10/11 drivetrains on MTB's without a FD or chain guide. The narrow/wide or hi-profile chainrings improve the retention at the front, but the most important function comes from the RD and clutch.

That may not be necessary in a typical road application. But there is a reason that SRAM included a clutch for the CX1 group and because parallels MTB use in the need for keeping tension on the chain.

BmanX

by BmanX

Disagree on the MTB. I have been running 1 X 10 with a carbon 32t front spiderless chainring for over 5 years with no clutch or no high/low and ZERO DROPS.

BUT that is just me and we are talking road here where I think it is 100% complete overkill with the options available today with front chain rings.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I'm currently running a CX1 front ring with 2011 Force rear mech and it's fine for the road, but I wouldn't tackle something really bumpy with it. Maybe that's all in my head though.

However, I can't get 11-36 without the cx1 rear mech

velojosh

by velojosh

Sram Wireless TT prototype spotted on Jan Frodeno's bike at Oceanside 70.3.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Frod ... _4969.html

KWalker

by KWalker

deek wrote:

What SRAM employees live in the Bay area? They don't have an office there.

Check your PMs

EDIT: Sram has an office in San Luis Obispo, which is just south of the Bay. Their employees ride proto stuff down there all the time. Same with Speci guys up here.....
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Peraud (AG2R) won the Criterium International with Sram electronic

deek

by deek

I actually live in SLO and I'm not sure if I know too many people here that would consider themselves Bay area "locals".

Anyway, if Specialized employees are riding the group it's probably fairly close to getting released. I imagine that the prototype chain is:
1. SRAM employees
2. SRAM sponsored athletes
3. SRAM customers
4. Consumers
as that goes from people getting all of their money from SRAM to people SRAM wants money from.

weenie

by weenie

I live in SF and i get some of the "info that's under NDA" from time to time from random shops (mostly because some of them are friends I think - I don't know anyone more than that).
So I'm guessing there's some of them in the bay, or else they get the info anyway... and of course they know specialized 2016 models, the sram stuff status, etc... they seem to talk about it more or less freely.

Anyway, as far as clutch derailleur goes, i go the same bike on regular and X01 aaaand you can get the clutch derailleurs from my cold dead fingers. Perfect chain retention, perfect shifting, and it doesnt matter how muddy it is.. I'll keep that. Not that my XTR derailleur is bad per se (its pretty good!), but it's just not as good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

deek wrote:I actually live in SLO and I'm not sure if I know too many people here that would consider themselves Bay area "locals".

Anyway, if Specialized employees are riding the group it's probably fairly close to getting released. I imagine that the prototype chain is:
1. SRAM employees
2. SRAM sponsored athletes
3. SRAM customers
4. Consumers
as that goes from people getting all of their money from SRAM to people SRAM wants money from.

It was two SRAM employees riding it in SLO. Saw it twice. Both had the same comment each time I saw them.

With Speci I was referring to saddles, shoes, frames, posts, etc that are often prototypes and ridden around on group rides, in races, etc. Guys were on the Power saddle back in September, a few have the Audax shoes already, and a local racer is riding a repainted proto Venge that, if you look closely, has a different downtube/headtube/fork interface.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike