Quick Link Disconnect While Riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I am just wondering if anyone has had the Sram Powerlink become disconnected while shifting from big ring to small ring. I did search the topic but didnt come up with much for info. This has happened to me twice now within a three year period. The only thing I can come up with is the chain sucked up while shifting to small ring and was enough to disconnect the link. No harm was done and I found the one half of the link as we were coming to a stop. I never thought this was possible with quick links but apparently it is.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

nicrump

by nicrump

bikeboy1tr wrote:I am just wondering if anyone has had the Sram Powerlink become disconnected while shifting from big ring to small ring. I did search the topic but didnt come up with much for info. This has happened to me twice now within a three year period. The only thing I can come up with is the chain sucked up while shifting to small ring and was enough to disconnect the link. No harm was done and I found the one half of the link as we were coming to a stop. I never thought this was possible with quick links but apparently it is.

the link is directional and if installed backwards it will do exactly as you describe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chello

by Chello

If you take it off regularly the interface can get loose. No idea how it could come undone while riding though. It cannot however be installed backwards as mentioned by nicrump.

Getter

by Getter

It happened to me once to my Rotor chain. I was just riding around in front of my house. The chain just fell off. Found half the link laying on the street. I bought a new KMC link.

Its possible that I never properly seated the link, but wouldn't it seat on its own when riding?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If you break links and re-join regularly as part of your bike maintenance programme they can wear, so timely replacement is necessary. And while I haven't used ever type of 11 speed link on the market, the ones I do use are 'single use' only and are not meant to be re-joined once broken.

Zoose

by Zoose

Like they said, the SRAM powerlink is directional and for one time use. As far as I know, all the 11 speed links are one-time-use only unlike some of the 10 speed ones.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I rarely reuse the links and once its on I typically leave it in place. Its funny cause when you watch some of the videos on how to remove the links they usually fumble with the link trying to separate the two halves. The only thing I can figure is chain suck cause the link has to double back on itself to separate or at least that is how I separate them with the channel locks.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

rmerka

by rmerka

I re-use the "one-time use" links and have never had one fall out. If you use one of these or similar tool you can feel whether or not it's worn out by how it clicks into place.

http://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers-mlp-1-2

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Being curious, I looked up the SRAM chain instructions, which make no mention of directionality.

Neither SRAM or KMC links are directional as far as I can tell.

Wipperman links ARE directional however.

I've used all types for years without an issue.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

SRAM Power Lock links have an arrow on them. The outer plate arrow is meant to point in the direction of chain travel. That means that when connecting the chain below the chsinstay, the LEFT link is in front of the RIGHT link.
Ps- I have since chosen to install all quick links in this fashion. I believe there was a Power Lock recall a while back, may have been due to this. Afterwards is when they started coming with the arrows.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OK I don't have a SRAM chain around to look at, and I was just going by their site info. Pic does not show an arrow.

Looks like this

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/powerlock

Now I see it. Looks like 11-speed only has the arrow

I understand from another forum post that both links have the arrow - in other words the links are the same each side, which would imply a certain symmetry. I'll try not to worry about it any more.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

nicrump

by nicrump

it is most surely a direction problem. follow the arrow.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... chains.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com