2013/2014 S-Works Shoes Numbness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Has anyone had any first met numbness with these, but not a previous gen S-Works? My cleats are in the same position, same insoles, everything. When I got the color dipped shoes I started to get hot spots under my first met head that gets sort of throbbing/numb by the end of any ride over 2hrs. I've been told that they made significant changes to the toe box and the sole design and that a lot of people have had issues like this (but this was second hand). I was wondering if anyone had had the same problem and if they solved it how they did so?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have both the 2013/2014 s works and older 2009? series s works. The newer ones are narrower across the toe, I will sometimes get a bit of numbness in both pairs, but really only when riding on dead road for an extended period (probably a normal thing i imagine). I certainly noticed a tighter toe box when I first started using them but it eased up quickly as they stretched.

My cleats are further towards the mid-sole on the new pair to get my metatarsal over the spindle. (or seem to be due to the position of the cleat bolt in the cleat slot. (mid way on new, right at the front on old)

The thing that is probably causing you issues is that the stack height is noticeably reduced. As in the new ones come with short cleat bolts as standard ones protrude into the shoe. So you may need to drop your seat now that you have switched.

Good luck.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

as above the cleat bolts need to be shorter than with the older version, otherwise they can cause a lump on the sole - easy to check if you remove the footbed

fwiw i find the toe box much wider on the 2013/14 version, the fit with the old ones was much better for me

KWalker

by KWalker

Using the supplied cleat bolts so that's not it. The cleat setup is the same as measured from the 1st metatarsal space.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boots2000

by boots2000

Sounds like the toe box might be too tight so that it puts pressure on your feet.
My try a shoe stretcher on the toe box?
My feet are f'd- I have to ride shoes with really big toe boxes, custom orthotics, etc.
Now working on some custom shoes.
Where are you in SF bay area?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Like a lot of shoes, my Specialized needed stretching up around the toe box. Too narrow. Finally got rid of them and got a set of Wide Lake cycling. No problems now. Guess I needed a wide shoe and my manual shoe stretcher did some to help, but ultimately, they just didn't work for me.

Had random numbness and issues always with the Specialized. That was even with custom footbeds.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I noticed going from 2009s to 2011s then 2013s each model has gotten easier to "over tighten". They have increased the leverage of the boa dial on each subsequent model. I have to be careful with my 2013s to get the boa just barely snug and I still sometimes end up backing it off a few clicks early in my rides. Don't know if that's contributing, but thought I throw it out there.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

Try cleat shims...worked for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Zigmeister wrote:Like a lot of shoes, my Specialized needed stretching up around the toe box. Too narrow. Finally got rid of them and got a set of Wide Lake cycling. No problems now. Guess I needed a wide shoe and my manual shoe stretcher did some to help, but ultimately, they just didn't work for me.

Had random numbness and issues always with the Specialized. That was even with custom footbeds.

I have had Specialized, Sidi, Shimano, DMT, Carnac and finally Lake which I like the best of all of them. Lake 401 and recently the Cross in a wide but 1/2 size smaller then the 401. Fits good especially with the oven treatment.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake