Ultegra 6800 vs 105 5800 thoughts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I was deciding between 2 bikes (identical frame, but diff colour). One had 6800 and the other 5800. I chose the 6800 since I knew I'll get upgraditis within 2 months.

I've only used it twice and I like it more than my Di2 (cavaet: I did not program my Di2 shifting speed). I'm glad you can adjust the reach since I have shorter fingers.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Price jump from 105 to Ultegra is fairly small, not so when comparing Ultegra to Dura Ace. For me the price performance is easy to justify on Ultegra, but much harder on Dura Ace. I'd do the Ultegra in a hearts beat.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Comparing the two, it seems that front shifting is identical. Rear shifting has a slightly lighter button feel and slightly crisper on the 6800. But that may be because I have the mid cage on the 5800.

I really appreciate the hood shape on the new 105 vs the 5700 iteration.

53x12

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Price jump from 105 to Ultegra is fairly small, not so when comparing Ultegra to Dura Ace. For me the price performance is easy to justify on Ultegra, but much harder on Dura Ace. I'd do the Ultegra in a hearts beat.

+1.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

CBJ

by CBJ

Sorry for the thread revival but looking at getting a GT Grade X as my commuter and winter bike. I have been commuting on a single speeder and miss gears, drop bar and room for bigger tires. Plus of course a bike I can do some tuning on over time :D

Rick wrote:But, yes, each step up is slightly lighter and slightly better alloys and heat treatments so they give better longevity. They diabolically make each step just a little better and a little more expensive so we all end up overbuying and the group becomes obsolete long before it ever actually wears out.

Is it "worth it " ? I'm a sucker as much as anyone else. Just enjoy what you decide upon, because I am sure it will be good and provide years of great functionality.

So much truth in that. I will say I felt a big difference going from Ultegra 6700 to Dura Ace 7900. As for 105 I have not ridden it since 1991.

5800 105 looks really amazing with all of the features from DA 9000. Anybody got any more experience with the group so far?

Reading what I can find it more a question about durability than function and weight of course. I still think spending money on a nice wheelset for the bike is the way to go first. Worth noting the Grade X comes with Ultegra shifters and brakes.

F45

by F45

Looks like a good commuter option, but you'll have to ask them why they are shorting you on the chainset with that boat anchor FSA instead of the 5800.

Rick

by Rick

F45 wrote:
Rick wrote:
But, yes, each step up is slightly lighter and slightly better alloys and heat treatments so they give better longevity. They diabolically make each step just a little better and a little more expensive so we all end up overbuying and the group becomes obsolete long before it ever actually wears out.

Are you sure about that? 6800 is cheaper than 6700. 5800 is the same price as 5700.

Good point, I should have said "generally", because market pressures also influence prices as time goes on.

CBJ

by CBJ

Ha good point and I can only agree that and the seat post and seat combo. Already have replacement for the post and seat. Not sure what I would crankset I would change to.

eric01

by eric01

While price jump from 105 to ultegra may be relatively small for the group set or individual parts, that's not going to be the case for complete bikes. Of course that will be due to the combination of other components or the frame itself.

My advice is to go with frame, go with the 105. As parts wear down -- or you see really good sale prices -- upgrade over time. Tinkering and tuning is part of the fun right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

CBJ

by CBJ

Agree and on a bike like that if you put a nice crank and a Dura Ace derailleur it would be top end bike quickly. Front end derailleur upgrade would only be weight as I have never seen a front derailleur wear out. However what I think is really interesting is when you get dics and do not have to worry about the quality of the rim break track it should be possible to source some nice carbon rims and build a really nice wheelset for a good price. Tinkering and tuning is half the fun at least.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

İ have 105 5700 & Ultegra 6700 groupsets on my bikes, recently tried out 105 5800 on a friend's bike.
İMHO Shimano has done a really good job with the 105 5800 set.
The shifting has definitely been much improved compared with 6700, Front shifting being the most significant improvement. The rear shifts much easier too with up to 3 gear changes in one swoop.
Us mortals really shouldn't need much more than 5800.
The only thing that could trump it would be Di2.
You won't regret buying 5800, if you want to bling it out i'd suggest you to use an 6800 crank.
Or save your money for a future Di2 purchase :-)

jeffy

by jeffy

tmr5555 wrote:İ105 5800 set ....up to 3 gear changes in one swoop.
Us mortals really shouldn't need much more than 5800.

rly?

Philbar72

by Philbar72

i've 6800 and 6870 on my 2 bmcs. tried the 5800 and its very very good. if i were building a crit frame for a crashy course its all i'd need.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'm running a 5800 setup and since last weekend a 6800 rear derrailleur. I have to say the value for money is very good. I took the gamble to not opt for Ultegra and swap over when needed since the bike has closed cabling but having ridden it for some time now I don't expect to change anything soon, it just works beautiful. A set of Shimano PFTE inner cables might make the action a bit lighter but I don't see that as needed anytime soon. :)
Ride it like you stole it

reknop

by reknop

Personally I would opt for the Ultegra 6800 group because you get Dura Ace technology for a more fair price point.
The price difference with the 5800 group is only E120,- or so, but you will get some of that value in return because the Ultegra parts will wear a little less. :)
Even in (professional) races I see a lot of Ultegra 6800 around ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com