HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm 

I guess being on here we are all looking for loosing weight! So I have seen the Continental Supersonic tubes which are 46g, my current tubes are 105g.

Is it worth the cost or even notice the 100g saved?!

Thanks

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:57 pm 

Nipping of 100 grams for 20 euros, in ww-land thats a steal!

Making your bike lighter is not about 1 light part. On a bike of 8kg you wont notice the 100gr no.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 pm 

You probably won't notice the weight savings. And they are very prone to punctures. So I wouldn't buy them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm 

I just thought seeing as it rotational weight then that would help.

If not I wouldn't bother.

Luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:46 pm 

If you are going to go that route I suggest upgrading to latex tubes like Vittoria or Bontrager latex.
They will be lighter and also they will reduce rolling resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm 

Thanks, I shall give them a look.

I am just starting off, so upgrading as I go. My next purchase is Ultegra gearing, but that shouldn't be until the sales.

Luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 pm 

not sure about those tubes but i prefer running lighter tubes for multiple reasons.
1. weight savings obviously
2. no diminished puncture protection. I bash on all sorts of surfaces but make sure to swap my tires when they are cooked. Your best way to not get a puncture is to have a tire free of cuts and excessive wear.
3. better road feel=?lower rolling resistance? , latex is best
4. I seem to get less pinch flats (totally anecdotal)

Of all these things the LEAST noticeable is the weight savings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm 

I like the schwalbe sv20 innertubes. Not sure what their weight is, thought 70-75.
Not more or less prone to punctures than regular conti or schwalbe innertubes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm 

The Michelin Air Comp Latex tubes seem good value, so weight won't really make any performance difference then, so a lower rolling resistance is going to. Is it worth upgrading then from my Conti Race 28 tubes?

How does latex provide this?

Thanks
Luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm 
Administrator

Please get some latex tubes in stead of the butyl ones. Lighter, better puncture resistance and make sure to swap your tires when they start to square.

Quote:
a bit more detail about you - height weight etc,
I am 185cm and about 76kg. I like pina colada's and getting caught in the rain.

On Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

It really depends what tyres you are running. If you're on something sturdy with emphasis on puncture protections, you will probably not notice a smoother ride. (Personally I never noticed the rotational weight either).

On the other hand, many people here swear by latex inners, as you have seen. Do yourself a favour though, and read up on the pros and cons (installation peculiarities, carbon clincher use, etc).

So far you have provided very little information about your setup, that makes it hard to provide useful suggestions. That said, I have never had any problems with Supersonics / am not man enough to run latex in clinchers, prefer them sewn up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm 

I would of thought weight would make the most noticeable difference in performance although small, how does Latex give a lower rolling restistence?

My setup, Merida Ride 93 carbon, running Campag Scirocco 35mm, with Ultremo ZX tyres. I ride mainly flat route with some small sharp climbs, but cruise 17-19mph.

Luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:03 pm 

Paired with an equally supply tire, I think latex improves rolling resistance by providing a level of deformity to the road that matches the tire. This is also part of what adds to the puncture resistance, I believe. Like HillRPete said, a gatorskin with latex tubes is a mismatch where you're unlikely to notice much of a difference. But a set of high TPI tires (Vittoria, Veloflex) at the right pressure will change things very noticeably. As for rotational weight... it's such a small change that I haven't been able to tell. It might just be wrapped up in the overall package of a smoother ride.

The biggest performance differences I've noticed are on short, punchy out of the saddle climbs and high speeds (30mph/48kph+). Both of these come at a much lower RPE now, or I can push it that much harder/faster. It's worth a try... I'm certain you're missing out on a pair of Ultremos.

ETA: Hmm, carbon clinchers with latex tubes is a touchy subject. Proceed at your own risk; many have experienced blowouts on descents that involve heavy braking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 am 

A lot of mis-truths about the supersonic tubes.

1. Increased pinchflats - BS - be careful (by that i mean do everything you should normally do when installing any tube) when installing the tube and you'll be fine.
- In 15000K i have had zero pinchflats on supersonics (or any other tube previous) because
a) I run a normal pressure in my tyres (110psi, i'm not a MTBer)
b) I am not a massive fattie (72kg)
c) I don't intentionally ram potholes.

2. Decreased puncture resistance - BS - if something gets through the puncture stopper on a set of tyres what hope does any tube have - zero. BTW I have never had any punctures on GP4000s in over 35000K's of riding, because I don't aim for glass/sharp rocks etc.

Other advantages - no air leakage - unlike latex, can run with carbon clinchers and do proper descents without issue.

Disadvantages - costly, maybe increased RR versus latex.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 am 

I read an article lately saying that thinner inner tubes does not increase the puncture chance. I think for road bikes, after 150 grams or something, it was effecting the possible punctures. Under 150 grams, all results were almost the same.

I was riding with 65 gram Schwalbe SV20 and 65 gram Specialized Turbo Talced tubes. 24c Grand Prix tires.
Never had a puncture. (I finished one rear tyre and now riding the second one. Front has less than 50% life)
If you install them correctly (This doesn't mean that they are harder to install. No, they are not.), and if there is no manufacturing defect (There was one on my Specialized tube), you will not get unexpected punctures.

Now I am riding with Michelin Latex tubes. No issues so far.
I have to pump them up before each ride, but I was also doing it with butyl tubes too. (Depending on route and weather).
Only problem is, when I am riding my bike to commute my work and if I am late, pumping seems a bit fatigue. A few times I ride to work with around 60PSI on my tires (I am a 65kg guy), and still no issues.

They are a bit heavier, but they seem more comfortable on lower pressures.
Also on fast climbs, where grade is really low and you are quite fast, they feel like they want to go faster.

My friend had 50 grammed Supersonic tubes. They weight 65 grams on scale and he was having many, many punctures. He switched back to regular, thick innertubes and it was still the same. Finally after tyre change, his rides was in peace...
I think now he is riding Specialzed Turbo tubes.

Go to page 1, 2  Next