11-28 11spd Campagnolo cassette available?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Campag, Shimano & Sram all make the same statements when a new component of a groupset is introduced. It's not that it is incompatible, rather that it is outside their compatibility range so will be "less than optimum" in performance. Essentially covering their asses!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again - Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo will have tested and tested and tested on frame formats that fall within their spec - they cannot afford to say "this will work" and have a consumer invest in a product and then find that in that customer's *particular* set of circumstances that it doesn't work.

Some of us are old enough to remember when companies were not so careful and it cost them big-time ... which in the end, costs the end customer - that money has to come from somewhere and where else if not from sales?

I had an upwards of 20,000 word email exchange with a guy who'd bought 13-29 x Compact SR "because his mate had it and it worked on his frame" and it didn't work on the customer's, because his frame was out of Campag's spec ... can you imagine the amount of time and cost that those kinds of problems take up? Well, they are the problems that are generated if you are not very specific about what will *definitely* work, as opposed to what *might work in some specific sets of circumstances*. That time has to be paid for. Who pays? End customers do.

In the same way, saying "it works for me" is not the same as saying "it will always work" - we have kit here at Velotech, and I have raced on (and I mean "raced on", not "sportifed on" plus I have fettled for UCI ProTeams, kit that *doesn't work* - fact is, you can often *make it* work within a specific set of circumstances - but no manuafacturer in their right mind is going to give anyone carte blanche in this day and age. A good example was EPS on the Astana bikes a couple of years ago - we had to do all sorts of hideous things to get the EPS FD to work with the Specialized crank set - sure, we got there in the end, but there is no way on earth that we could send an instruction leaflet out that could encompass what we had to do.

A manufacturer has to take a view on the technical competence of whoever is going to do the assembly and keep it simple - I know there are some quite able technicians on this BB, but there will also be a number of people that read posts here who shouldn't be allowed within 100 metres of a bike with an allen key in their hands, which is why we don't offer advice on workarounds - it's not worth the risk. In the case of the dude above with his 13-29 SR, there *was* a workaround - but there was no way I'd have suggested it to a guy I'd never met and whose mechanical abilities were not known. It'd be a inviting possible disaster. I offered to have the bike into the workshop and do the work, he declined and said "tell me how" - I said "sure, sign this disclaimer" and he refused ...

For a private individual it's different - you can say "yeah, well, Campy says it doesn't work, but I used 12-32 SRAM Red cassette with my EPS RD and it was fine" and if a reader on the forum tries it and it costs them a RD, chain and cassette because actually, in their particular case it *doesn't* work - there's no comeback. If you are Campagnolo, or SRAM, or someone speaking for those companies, though, you have to be a bit more circumspect.

So next time you read someone saying "Campag (or Shimano, or SRAM) says it doesn't work, but they are just saying that to make you buy X, Y or Z" just park the cynicism for a while and think it through - there may be, just *may* be, a damn' good reason for advising against ....
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

LionelB

by LionelB

So is the 11-29 cassette not going to be guaranteed on 2014 and older groups but the 11-27 is ?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

LionelB wrote:So is the 11-29 cassette not going to be guaranteed on 2014 and older groups but the 11-27 is ?
sounds about right.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

@graeme_f_k: Can you confirm that the new 11-29 cassette is not compatible with 2014 and older mechanical and Eps groupsets. Do you have more technical info on the reason?

@LionelB: It will not be guaranteed if campy says its not compatible. I've seen Campy refuse a warranty claim about a damaged front SR derailleur because the person had an FSA crankset. From what I was told, the warranty is for the full groupset.
██

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I use wheels with a 12/29 cassettes and wheels with an 11/23 cassettes on my Colnagos running 11spd all Campy from 2009-2014. As such I have no doubt that I could use an 11/29 cassette, on my setups at least. I think Graemes post was very good. You can't possibly cover every single scenario with every frame out there, past and present.
One caveat with the 2009 rear derailleur is that it requires a modification to work well with the 12-29 cassette. It's an easy mod and requires a different part that the b-screw operates with. Essentially allows the rear derailleur to be backed off a bit more and prevent it from jamming into the cogs. Also, and this should go without saying, you have to make sure your chain length is long enough anytime you increase the cassette size.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zoose

by Zoose

ferrarista wrote:I've seen Campy refuse a warranty claim about a damaged front SR derailleur because the person had an FSA crankset. From what I was told, the warranty is for the full groupset.

That just seems crazy to me. I know a ton of guys who put Campy on their Evos with Hollowgram cranks and run Dura-Ace cassettes. I guess they just hope it doesn't break or the person who answers at Campy is nice that day.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Zoose wrote:
ferrarista wrote:I've seen Campy refuse a warranty claim about a damaged front SR derailleur because the person had an FSA crankset. From what I was told, the warranty is for the full groupset.

That just seems crazy to me. I know a ton of guys who put Campy on their Evos with Hollowgram cranks and run Dura-Ace cassettes. I guess they just hope it doesn't break or the person who answers at Campy is nice that day.

Well not really. If the part broke due to manufacturing defect i'm sure they would have warrantied it. The derailleur broke due to a chain suck. The fsa crankset could have been the problem or the adjustment of the derailleur. It is clearly stated in the warranty that if the groupsets are used with parts not approved by campagnolo then there is no warranty. Maybe the hollowgram cranks are approved by campy. I'm sure Graeme knows the answer. I understand Campy in trying to protect themselves against people that like to mix parts. It is hard to diagnose the problem when you mix different components.Campy only tests with their components or approved components.
██

12x23

by 12x23

BRM wrote:
12x23 wrote:Thanks, how difficult is this to install?

On the Campa official site under section Support there are tutorial vids.
Among them is a vid especially to show how this update is done.
Direct link>
http://www.campagnolo.com/NL/en/Support ... erailleurs

Link to tutorial mainpage>
http://www.campagnolo.com/NL/en/Support ... t#tutorial

Made the upgrades along with newer generation shifter body. Much more "mechanical", transformed the shifting! Thanks again!

RedRacer

by RedRacer

random101 wrote:Why not just get a sram? 1190 11-28 they are interchangeable...

Don't get the crappy Duraace -_-

Has anyone used a SRAM X-Glide 1190 cassette on a Campagnolo 11spd drivetrain? SRAM offers the 11-28 ratio I am after and it is quite light weight.

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products ... -cassettes

If the cassette is compatible should I use a SRAM, SR11 or KMC chain?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I'm using a sram x glide with Athena 11 on my 'winter bike' - from memory 11-26. Lighter and cheaper than campagnolo SR.

Absolutely no problems at all. Wheels have been swapped straight from my Evo which runs Red.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Sorry, using KMC chains on both bikes.

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

The 2015 rear derailleur has a completely new parallelogram and internal self adjusting cam system in the upper body that allow it to accommodate for the 11-29. That is why Campagnolo have finally released one. It will not be backwards compatible with with the old derailleur/parallelogram. Why are people so against riding a 12t cog? I live in the mountains and have never been under geared on descents with the 12. If I'm going that fast I just tuck anyway.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

fishyskawa wrote:The 2015 rear derailleur has a completely new parallelogram and internal self adjusting cam system in the upper body that allow it to accommodate for the 11-29. That is why Campagnolo have finally released one. It will not be backwards compatible with with the old derailleur/parallelogram. Why are people so against riding a 12t cog? I live in the mountains and have never been under geared on descents with the 12. If I'm going that fast I just tuck anyway.

For my riding 50 / 12 isn't enough top gear and from time to time it would be nice to spin a 34 / 28 up steep hills on slower buddy rides.

My gruppo is Super Record 11spd MY2012, not the 2015+ version, but I only want to use a 28T not 29T.

If the SRAM 1190 actually has the identical performance and low noise of a genuine SR cassette it seems like a simple solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Bump for an answer to my last question posted many months ago.

My gruppo is the 2013 Super Record, not the 2015+ version, and I specifically want to use an 11-28, not 11-29.

If the SRAM 1190 11-28 actually has the identical shifting performance and low noise of a genuine SR cassette it seems like a simple solution. Would it be best to run a SRAM or KMC chain?