stack-reach comparison of 2014-2015 road frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Some stack-reach comparison charts for 2014-2015 road frames. I also include 2008 Cervelo R-series geometry. I have Cervelo R5 and Trek Madone on both of the plots for reference. Dotted lines show effect of more spacers (higher stack, slightly shorter reach) or a longer 0-degree stem (longer reach, slightly higher stack).

The Parlee tall is out of place here (I exclude endurance geometry, for example, of other companies) but I included it just for comparison.

rma

by rma

Nice chart, DJ. I'm a Cervelo fan and it shows how the stack-reach geometry is applied... very nice. I'm not an engineer or anything, but the linear evolution of the frames seems logical. The differences should be the slopes, and then every cyclist could find his very own optimal frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I really like the way Trek handles it. Here's the Trek Madone H1 and H2 curves compared with Cervelo old and new

That's basically 15 sizes for one bike.

I also add in the Domane sizes. The Domane Race looks like a very attractive bike. It would take around 8 cm of spacers to bring the Race up to a slammed standard Domane. The normal Domane is a stackfest.
Last edited by djconnel on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Could you add Specialized?

Edit: My eyes have deceived me....

djconnel

by djconnel

More Specialized. The Venge is basically identical to the Tarmac. The Roubaix is fairly close to the Trek Madone H2, not nearly as relaxed as the Roubaix: around 2.5 cm spacer difference. The Madone H1 is more aggressive than the Tarmac, however: with two lines of Madone they can afford to be more aggressive on the longer/lower version.

Last edited by djconnel on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dj97223

by dj97223

dj, I think you meant to write "reach" on the x-axis.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

djconnel

by djconnel

Thanks! Accidentally modified "all axes" on xmgrace, creating a mess. I fixed it.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Using slowtwitch.com stack & reach database and something like Tableu Public could generate some interesting "live" visualizations

djconnel

by djconnel

That's an interesting idea! Need a web server with gnuplot.

Storck is well known to be a bit weird on geometry, so I decided to plot it versus Canyon, a perennial rival in Tour magazine.

I previously plotted the Canyon AeroRoad. Here I add the ultimate. For once a bike company does the obvious which is to make the aero bike lower. And the longest Ultimate is incredibly long. It must be those tall Norwegian customers.

But the Storck 0.6 is a bit bizarre. The smallest size differs only in stem length, essentially (actually with the head tube angle being slacker than 73 deg, slammed stem will result in the smallest being slightly higher). Then after that "constant bar height" move, it goes constant reach (straight up). The Aernario is basically the same with the addition of a larger size with longer reach & stack.

KWalker

by KWalker

One thing people always forget is headset stack. Cannondale uses either a 25mm or a flat headset cap. The Speci cap measures 11mm. The Trek caps measure 15 to 18mm depending on the frame. The Venge HT does not include the integrated headset cap.

Just curious- what is the "Madone race"? Is that the Koppenberg model (Emonda geo), the classics model, or the H1 model? Unfortunately the classics edition only comes in a complete build and the Koppenberg is a ways out.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I wondered the same thing. I saw the head tube length of the "Domane Classics Edition" and thought "this chart is either completely wrong or this is the perfect bike for me"

djconnel

by djconnel

The Domane Race is the Domane sold to satisfy the UCI so that the bike can be provided to the professional riders, who obviously aren't going to ride the standard Domane.

The Emonda H2 is the same essentially as the Madone H2. The Emonda H1 is almost 2 cm more stack than the Madone H1, still well shorter than the H2, but not as aggressive as Madone.

The headset cap is easily replaced though, right? Does the stock cap affect stack & reach?

djconnel

by djconnel

I added Emonda H1 to the 2nd previous plot. Emonda H2, not available on the top bike build apparently, is the same essentially as the Madone H2. Note the Emonda H1 is around 1 cm less aggressive than the Madone H1, but still lower than the Tarmac.

djconnel

by djconnel

More bikes. I realize the 54 cm (3rd smallest) RCa (R5) would actually work for me with a -17 deg 10 cm stem. The bike's geometry certainly is strange.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:The Domane Race is the Domane sold to satisfy the UCI so that the bike can be provided to the professional riders, who obviously aren't going to ride the standard Domane.

The Emonda H2 is the same essentially as the Madone H2. The Emonda H1 is almost 2 cm more stack than the Madone H1, still well shorter than the H2, but not as aggressive as Madone.

The headset cap is easily replaced though, right? Does the stock cap affect stack & reach?

It will just affect stack and from what I know it is just a Cane Creek cap so you could presumably find a replacement, however, you have to assume that most won't/can't.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike