Lighter Cable/Housing for Dura Ace 9070

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Antoine

by Antoine

brearley wrote:Can anybody tell me the outside diameter of alligator or Nokon cable liners.
Need new liner for my swift cables but shipping to uk makes them cost prohibitive.

the Nokon liner is thicker (2,5 mm) and can't go through i-link housing.

http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... anguage=en

the swift is expensive : http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... ts_id=2110

I use I-link for some time with no complaint, and Nokon more recently. Nokon is more flexible and works better so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

No issues with full set of iLinks, but yes, be patient with them. The other new kid on the block maybe work a peek is Jagwire, but I've yet to see any info on them.

Can't go wrong with the iLink IMO.

RChevalier

by RChevalier

@LoggingMiles - sorry I didn't respond earlier, Yes the they are uncut. The housing is in two pieces, 176cm and 100cm and the cables are also two piece, 183cm and 109cm. All 4 pieces together are 191g. It came in the same box as the ST-9070 shifters.

@aaric - Is the rattling a common occurrence with segmented housing on internal frames?

Teletori

by Teletori

I have had success using Niro Glide brake cable housing, and will use that for my next build as well.

Lighter, but looks like normal Dura Ace brake cable.

http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;na ... duct=17066

aaric

by aaric

RChevalier wrote:@aaric - Is the rattling a common occurrence with segmented housing on internal frames?

Any where segmented housing contacts the frame, you'll want to protect the frame. From personal experience with iLinks, the aluminum ridges will quickly wear into the paint and frame otherwise. Heat shrink works decently. There are quite a few cable protectors available, and iLinks come with some ugly orange/red ones that work well.

Also, any where the cables cross, if they are next to each other they will rattle, and wear off the finish of the cables unless they are protected. This can be frustrating as you have to take into account where the cables are when you turn, as well as the effect of bouncing over rough roads.

For me, having the possibility of aluminum segments rubbing inside the frame where the damage couldn't be seen or easily monitored made segmented cables unacceptable. For what its worth, my frame has a direct mount rear brake under the chainstays/bottom bracket, so it has more likelihood of this occurring than a normally mounted brake given how the brake cable is routed, and that it uses a full housing run. My old venge for instance didn't run housing internally.

RChevalier

by RChevalier

aaric wrote:From personal experience with iLinks, the aluminum ridges will quickly wear into the paint and frame otherwise.

Thanks for the headsup, I never even thought of that before. So for segmented housings, is it possible to not run the segmented housing inside at all on the inside? If they had like an end piece adapter segment that fits on/in the gromet. So that all the internal cables are bare but all the exterior are covered? Would also save some weight.

tomtom

by tomtom

I have iLinks on all my bikes and I'm very satisfied. Now I'm switching to Jagwire Elite because is a little more beautiful :-)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

NiFTY

by NiFTY

RChevalier - yep, just like any cable housing it can stop at the frame stops. Aaric, from his description of a direct mount BB brake and full length brake housing probably has a new Felt AR, which requires full length housing. Most internal cabled bikes you cannot run full length housing.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oscarach

by oscarach

The Jagwire Road Elite Link have a nice finish to them.

Brake only installation on a Supersix EVO was 56g

micky

by micky

Teletori wrote:I have had success using Niro Glide brake cable housing, and will use that for my next build as well.

Lighter, but looks like normal Dura Ace brake cable.

http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;na ... duct=17066

Weights?