Di2 mix-and-match--firmware v3.0.5 warning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I note that firmware 3.0.6 just got issued, with the description "Improvement of function"........... I wonder what got "improved" this time?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

So will the SM-EW67 not work with a full 6870 grouppo (shifters, derailleurs, and internal battery)?

glepore

by glepore

It will work but requires an update using a pce-1
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

climber8

by climber8

Are you certain that will work? What is the update with the pce1? Nothing I have seen thus far indicates that once the internal battery has been updated you can run an ew67 with 11s parts. Hope that something has changed.

glepore

by glepore

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/20 ... art_en.pdf

Bigger issue is how you would charge the battery without a charging port...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

cajer

by cajer

I have a 5 port that I would connect. I just want the smaller size so I can hide it in my seattube

cajer

by cajer

I have a 5 port that I would connect. I just want the smaller size so I can hide it in my seattube

gamma_ray

by gamma_ray

Sooo..... i thought i had read through about every thread about mixing 10 & 11 speed Ultegra Di2 thats on the internet and came to the conclusion that i would only need to buy a new front- and rearderailleur. So i bought these and mounted them but no reaction whatsoever. what could be the options?

- do i need to update my firmware? I don't think this had ever happened since i bought the bike in januari 2013.
- could it be that my internal wiring is an older version and needs to be changed? (Hope not)
- or could it be i need to also change other parts like shifters or battery? From what i have read this would't be the case.

Note: when i remounted my older 10 speed derailleurs again everything worked ok again.

Greetings and thanx in advance for answering!
I hurt myself today
To see if i still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing thats real.

my introduction here:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63830&start=0 UPDATED!!

djwalker

by djwalker

I run 11 speed dérailleurs with 10 speed shifters, original wiring, and external battery. Everything works perfectly. I am at the latest firmware version. If I remember correctly I did have to update the firmware when I installed the dérailleurs a year ago. but it worked fine after that.

flogger7

by flogger7

gamma_ray wrote:Sooo..... i thought i had read through about every thread about mixing 10 & 11 speed Ultegra Di2 thats on the internet and came to the conclusion that i would only need to buy a new front- and rearderailleur. So i bought these and mounted them but no reaction whatsoever. what could be the options?

- do i need to update my firmware? I don't think this had ever happened since i bought the bike in januari 2013.
- could it be that my internal wiring is an older version and needs to be changed? (Hope not)
- or could it be i need to also change other parts like shifters or battery? From what i have read this would't be the case.

Note: when i remounted my older 10 speed derailleurs again everything worked ok again.

Greetings and thanx in advance for answering!

Your firmware appears to pre-date the release of the 11 speed derailleurs...updating it should take care of that.

gamma_ray

by gamma_ray

Thank you for your answers, i must say it's quite confusing me because the warning this topic is about tells me not to update firmware if i want to mix 10 & 11 speed Di2 parts. In the first place i tried changing only the rear derailleur (which should work according to this topic because i didnt update firmware) but this didnt work. So then i figured the newer firmware must already have been installed somehow (perhaps by my lbs or my team mechanic without me knowing) and i bought a new front derailleur also. So, i guess my firmware version should be newer than the juli '14 one but older than the ones on the 11 speed derailleurs :roll: Please tell me if im not thinking straight :mrgreen:
I hurt myself today
To see if i still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing thats real.

my introduction here:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63830&start=0 UPDATED!!

glepore

by glepore

You can mix 10 spd shifters with 11 spd derailleurs, the derailleurs must be either both 11 or both 10 with the latest firmware. What I (and the other posters above) suspect is that your firmware is pre-11 spd, so it doesn't recognize the 11 spd parts. When 6970 first came out, there was a period in time where the firmware both recognized 11 spd parts and allowed the mix, it no longer does that. Your firmware is likely original 6870, and doesn't know that 11 spd exists.

yancart

by yancart

Hi, Sounds like I might have a similar problem although its on a MTB with all different parts.

Im trying to setup a 1x11 XTR Di2 and having a few issues...

Just using the EW90A 3port junction, SM-BTR2 internal battery, the M9050 rear mech & a RH shifter, so running with no display and usingg the BCR2 charger for charging/updating.

Intially connected it up off the bike and all seemed to shift ok. Then fitted it to the bike and did the adj setup in 5th gear. Shifts were good but I couldnt get it shift into the highest gear (10t). Tried really loosening the end stop screws, which works for 42t but not 10t?

Then thought a firmware update might help, so connected the bike to the shimano e-tube project app v3.1.0. This worked fine, worked out what I had on the bike and said all parts needed a firmware update. So did the update and now the e-tube project app is happy and all seemed fine. I disconneted the bike from the laptop and now nothing. Now the shifter has no effect and the junction unit wont go into adj mode! I disconnected everything and reconnected it - same, nothing! I have a spare SM-BTR2 battery so connected it and all seemed fine again, apart from it still wouldnt shift into the 10t cog! Connected the bike back to the e-tube project app and again it said the battery firmware needed updating! Decided not to do this after what happened to the first battery!

Anyone got any ideas how to get this setup working correctly and how to adj for the 10t cog?
Cheers

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Seems that you didn't push "complete setup" after updating your system.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

yancart

by yancart

Where is that option, should the "complete process" option appear after the update or is it smthg you have to do after the update?

The update process seemed to complete with no issues and now all items are green.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com