Rapha Pro Team vs Lightweight vs Superlightweigh jerseys

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Even though I'm asking on weight weenies, surprisingly, I don't want to know the difference in weight between Rapha's Pro Team, Lightweight, and Superlightweight jerseys. :D

I was wondering if anybody has worn all three and could explain to me the difference in fit and how they feel in warm/hot weather? I got a small Pro Team jersey recently and love the fit, just right in the front and back, nice and aero-tight. I am thinking of trying a Lightweight jersey because I like the idea of a wool blend and something different too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

I can't answer your question on how they compare unfortunately, but for what its worth I have a super lightweight and am very very happy with it, you barely notice you are wearing a jersey.

kode54

by kode54

the super lightweight jersey is almost see through. very thin material. the lightweight is a thin material but cannot see through and is a thinner classic jersey. the pro team is a different material entirely with mesh side vents and a tighter cut. in 75 degree weather and above, i wear the super lightweight...but i sweat quite a bit. with the super lightweight, i wear the thin mesh base layer as well.

and like Lightweenie said, its not noticeable wearing it. i like it better than the lightweight...which i don't see any point in wearing during the summer. not much different than regular jerseys.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have a pro team and super lw only... the super is indeed almost see though as other have mentioned... I'm a real homer for the pro team. shirts and bib are perfect for me.. the newer bibs anyways. I'd say the SLW is similar fit for me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kode54

by kode54

yes. i forget to mention fit. Pro Team is tight race cut fit. SLW is a bit looser, but closer to race cut than the LW cut...which is more of a relax fit. maybe the merino has stretched in the LW whereas the SLW doesn't experience material stretch like merino wool.

Deleted that quote for you. Please use the reply button in cases like these. it is right next to the quote one. thanks.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I have 2 super lightweight jerseys that I am riding regularly.
White one is semi transparent. You can see the straps of bib shorts and HR band easily.
Red one is not transparent at all.
I never weighted them, but they both give you great cooling at hot summer times. White feels a bit more fresh, I believe it is because the colour...

I never ride with the other two so this message is absolutely useless for you :D

edit:
I am 183cm tall and 64kg.
Skinny guy.
Riding SLW jerseys on S size. Perfect fit.
Last edited by ToffieBoi on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Pro Teams are cut for thin people. The others are made for those with a more average build. (Most Rapha would be too baggy on me, but the PT is a good fit.) The Pro Team cut is somparable to the pro cuts from companies like Louis Garneau: nice and snug.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I have one of each and I have to say that the SLW and Pro tops are my faves, but they do different things in my view. SLW is REALLY light, good for trips to Morocco and climbing days in the Alps. Pro is a do-everything top, but I'm not much of a fan of the no-collar thing. The LW is my least favourite - it has an annoying vertical central zip pocket, and the material for me picks up and holds dirt more than my other tops too.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Cuki

by Cuki

Once you have worn the Pro Team, you'll never wear anything else from Rapha. The fit and the feel is just so much better.
It's annoying as hell for me to see great looking lines on the Classic and Lightweight jerseys, but know full well they just don't cut it like the Pro Team.

Spend the little extra for the real deal.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Agree with the above comments, if you are a thinner build, go with the Pro Team. It's the best stuff I've worn.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

kode54

by kode54

greentimgreen wrote:....Pro is a do-everything top, but I'm not much of a fan of the no-collar thing...

i actually like the low collar of the Pro Team. most tall collars bother me unless its winter out and i need to seal in the warmth. the Pro Team collar is my favorite all around...as well as the material used.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Cuki

by Cuki

In with the above comment too. The most uncomfortable part of any garment for me is usually the collar.

djm

by djm

Only wearing the Pro Team jersey.. I can add that at 190cm/77kgs the M is too wide around my waist and flaps in the wind. However it is slightly tight around the neck. Also the pockets are way too loose and move about quite a lot if I am moving. Also the pockets sag quite a bit if there is anything in them.

kode54

by kode54

the Pro Team fits great all around...i don't have the issue with flapping in the wind, since i have more around the middle as djm...and not tight around the neck at all. the LW seems a little snug at the collar, but that's probably because i'm so used to wearing the Pro Team with shorter collar and the somewhat perfect neck with the SLW. everyone's build is different, so best to try before buying if all possible.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sequerra

by sequerra

I have all of them Big summer days in Rio de Janeiro require the SLW. The LW and the Classic are about the same. The pro team is a different fabric, a bit tighter, but lighter than the LW/CLASSIC. Our winter days in Brazil call for the LW and Classic. The real hot days, 30ºc and above go for the SLW and the proteam. The LW have the worst finish of them all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com