Returning after a bad crash

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

perfectpink

by perfectpink

In mid July I was hit by a car driver who was on the wrong side of the road and left in intensive care with 2 collarbone fractures, one shoulderblade fracture, 8 broken ribs, 2 damaged lungs and some soft tissue damage too just for good measure. He has been charged with causing serious injury by careless driving as I was wearing a Go Pro and he has no defense to the perfect evidence.

I have returned home this week and whilst I won't be riding for another 2 or 3 months I have bought a brand new (2013 model) Cannondale Supersix Evo High Mod with Full Sram Red and 2 sets of wheels - Vision TC24 carbon tubs and Ksyrium SLS clinchers - for £2,700. I thought I would get it whilst it was available as it is such a good deal.

The only downside is the standard Cannondale seat post, bars and stem which seem cheaper than the rest of the spec. What are the logical upgrades without losing too much comfort people?

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

sorry to hear about your crash...wish you quick recovery and hope you can get back on the bike soon. Especially that new evo. Just curious as to how your gopro was mounted in order to capture the footage. I am thinking of riding with a gopro also for safety reasons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Hi, hope you get well soon.

My advise would be not to cut the steerer to your normal position. I'm slowly coming back from a bad injury, and you want as little load as you can on your shoulders initially, and there is no shame in an upright position. I'm running a ton of spacers and the stem pointing upward, but that way I can ride at all.

To be honest, I wouldn't upgrade that bike right now. Hold on to the cash and see how you do when you start riding again. With a new position you might want a new saddle, a different seatpost. I had to put on clip-on extensions, because I couldn't hold on to a regular drop bar for long. My injury is different and I hope your way back won't be too difficult, but you might have to become creative in the begining.

I'm assuming you'll do some sort of rehab? Take that stuff serious and don't just focus on the injured parts of your body. Make sure you take good care of your back and hips while you're not riding.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I think the seatpost is a standard size (27.2?) as is the steerer (1 1/8) so there must be plenty of the usual suggestions available to you. If the stock stem is a Cannondale aluminum, then you may wish to weigh it as they can be lighter than what you might suspect, maybe in the range of 125 grams or so depending.