The new ee brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Has anyone figured out a quick way to clean the new ee brakes? It's been the bane of my life for the last few months - the best I can do it to roll up baby wipes into a fine point and try to get in to all of the little nooks and crannies. Even then I only get to 75% of the crud. A quicker/easier method would be a life saver! :noidea:
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i use a detailing brush...and toothbrush to clean mine. typically, i use it dry to get all the crud off first...then i use a different one that i use wet with cleaning stuff...then wipe it all down.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Toothbrush - good call. It's crossed my mind to buy the 'aero' covers to prevent all the muc, but I much prefer the standard look and obviously don't want to introduce weight!

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

nagge wrote:They are about €130 more expensive compared to Starbike :/

unfortunately yes, but as I mentioned, purely because of the exchange rate. It wasn't that long ago that the Euro was 1.1 to the British pound or less, which would have made Ubyk competitive. However the current rate is around 1.35, great for us to buy things from Europe, not so good for Europeans to buy things from the UK.

rjk8

by rjk8

Just bought a set from www.twohubs.com and love them. Easy to set up and switch wheels, great and simple adjustability. Well worth the $600 US I paid for them.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

Jesper64

by Jesper64

When they get dirty does the performance suffer at all? I'm wondering because I'm pretty slack at keeping my bike clean...

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I've not noticed any degradation in power or modulation at all, and as mentioned above, I have struggled to keep them in top condition and I've been using them all winter...

rosuch

by rosuch

One of the cheaper lightweights with good performance.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

greentimgreen wrote:Has anyone figured out a quick way to clean the new ee brakes? It's been the bane of my life for the last few months - the best I can do it to roll up baby wipes into a fine point and try to get in to all of the little nooks and crannies. Even then I only get to 75% of the crud. A quicker/easier method would be a life saver! :noidea:

I can just say, buy a battery pressure washer, fill it with nothing but hot water!
These are not so strong they will damage the bike, just enough to clean your bike after every ride.
Bike will be as good as new after every ride. Clean rims, brakes, brake pads, chainline etc. It's the cheapest and among best investment i've done to keep my bike clean.
I just use some soap and a brush at times.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

Any tips on setting these up? THM Fibulas were very particular about setup requiring a very limited space between the pads and rim to ensure optimum braking force. Same with the Ciamillo Gravitas SLs.

I noticed the new eeBrakes can accommodate wider rims, but when I went to set mine up on my 21mm rims, with no spacers it seemed fine with the suggested 1-2mm clearance on each side. Am I going to be outside of the sweet spot for braking power or do these apply force in a linear manner?

EDIT: Looks like I didn't notice that it currently has 1 spacer installed on each pad. Looks like it's close enough.

rjk8

by rjk8

Set up is nice and easy and quick adjustment if need be. My microadjust thingy stripped out and Craig from EE shipped me the parts the same day and I fixed it myself in about 30 minutes. Great customer service for a kick ass brakeset.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

Jesper64

by Jesper64

RyanH wrote:Any tips on setting these up? THM Fibulas were very particular about setup requiring a very limited space between the pads and rim to ensure optimum braking force. Same with the Ciamillo Gravitas SLs.

I noticed the new eeBrakes can accommodate wider rims, but when I went to set mine up on my 21mm rims, with no spacers it seemed fine with the suggested 1-2mm clearance on each side. Am I going to be outside of the sweet spot for braking power or do these apply force in a linear manner?

EDIT: Looks like I didn't notice that it currently has 1 spacer installed on each pad. Looks like it's close enough.

One thing might be to check that when you're pulling hard on the brakes whether the cable adjust screw is passing below the top strut. If it is it can scratch up the strut.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

be great to see some more pics of these great brakes!

mrgray

by mrgray

latest versions run at 169 g so it seems weights have changed markedly over the various models. what strikes me is that the drilled out rear of the DM catches the eye. some say they are ugly but i'd say that look very very nice. more pics of the brakes on actual builds.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D