Cervélo 2015 lineup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Loved it back then. Still looks terrific to me now.

Ah well.

drmutley

by drmutley

Omg how bad do they want the R5 to look?! Convinces me to get a R3 now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ph

by ph

I'm guessing the new announcement at Eurobike will be a new platform - perhaps G series gravel type bike evolution of R2/3 frame with more clearance, R2 fork and disc brakes with substantial tire clearance and leading class leading weight (and perhaps a caliper brake PR limited edition if MTN ride PR). Aside from a growing market, it would probably be useful for Cervelo to get some engineering and production experience with disc brake frames and forks with the ultimate goal of an aerodynamic disc brake solution when the WT peloton makes the switch.

Interesting to see the Magura hydro brakes spec'd on the 2015 P series bikes as there was chat (on slowtwitch) about the brakes being discontinued.

eric

by eric

uraqt wrote:as a huge Cervelo fan I have to agree there was an R3 SL that was just black with white letter... perfect ...2009 isn

2008 and 2007 R3SL had the white. 2009, the one I have, had the same logos but in silver. Not quite as nice as the white.

My early 2006 R3 had significant parts of the frame with no paint only clear coat. It looked good but you could see that the layup or gel coat thickness was not completely even (my understanding is that it's more difficult to make that look good with UD).

I agree with the previous poster- I'm also not a fan of the current bike's tall head tube or BBright. I would like the slightly more aero tubing shape and hidden cables however.

rmerka

by rmerka

The R5 would be a much better looking bike if they had just left the red off and painted it all like the lower half. That would be a good looking bike.

What is the BB standard y'all speak of??? There is no standard and I for one (maybe the only one) am glad there isn't. Standards are stupid and stifle innovation. I'll take the advancements of technology over "standards" any day. Wider BB's are stiffer and have better power transfer and that's backed up by very real measurements. Not just people bitchin' about not getting to thread something in. Fuel for the fire :twisted:

djconnel

by djconnel

I was looking at the 2014 R5, a demo bike they rent out for weekends, @ Cupertino Bike Shop during a lunch ride (was trying for a KOM for awhile and finally got it -- on my steel Ritchey Breakaway and forgot to remove my tool bag and pump. It was a fairly obscure climb for around here).

Anyway, it's disappointing if that dull black finish is paint. And the decals don't look that bad in person. I may test ride it one of these days -- it's right near the base of the climb, so I can compare my time.

djconnel

by djconnel

Not entirely topical, but I did a plot of geometry of a few frames including the Cervelo out of curiousity of Adam Blythe's epic stem slam on his Swift. He used to ride a BMC. But it shows how Swift has adapted a straight stack-reach design, similar to Cervelo adapted when they went big-stack.

Cervelo is really good about supporting a wide range of reaches.

asv

by asv

It seems like Cervelo has done nothing except change paint schemes and reissue old frames since the company was sold. Pretty sad for what used to be an exciting company.

mjduct

by mjduct

+1 from a cervelo owner... Talk to a dealer they'll depress you even more on the state of the company...

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

asv wrote:It seems like Cervelo has done nothing except change paint schemes and reissue old frames since the company was sold. Pretty sad for what used to be an exciting company.

But they have a whole new r5, r3, s3, p3... Every bike company repaints previous year models and markets them for a new year...
I am no cervelo fanboy and would personally never buy one but I don't agree with that statement at all.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I didn't realize making the new s2 and s3 constituted doing absolutely nothing

KWalker

by KWalker

Cervelos have gross geo. No reason that the stack needs to be as high as it is on the top end bikes. I really do not want to spend a grip of cash on a bike to have to run a -17 stem to get where most bikes would only need a -6. The STA is also really slack and requires a 0 offset post or the seat very far forward on an offset post. I would not pay money to have such a heinous looking setup. It will always steer me way clear of their bikes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

rmerka

by rmerka

RCA is post PON as well...

eric01

by eric01

Part of the perception that Cervelo is stagnating is probably a reflection of their incredible past. The original 2005 R3 was a huge leap ahead of the competition at the time. You could arguably attribute the "aero" trend to the Soloist bike dating back to 2003.

I recently read an article -- can't remember where otherwise I would link to it and check my facts -- but there was a bit in there by an engineer from another company. Apparently they took the original R3, cut it up and baked it to understand how Cervelo built it. The engineer was amazed at the complexity of the layup. Something about Cervelo doing "hundreds" while they were doing "tens". And this was almost a decade ago!

Edit: found the link -- http://redkiteprayer.com/2014/07/the-ce ... -and-s3/2/

So yeah, maybe the past couple years haven't produced anything as special as the R3 was back in 2005. But there have been some nice iterations. I have one of the original R3s which I still ride on occasion. The R5 is interesting enough to me that I would pick one up if they didn't botch the paint job!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

tinozee

by tinozee

Permon wrote:Cervelo is cappable of making nice paintjobs..... I like this P5.
Also the Tour de France S3 of one Garmin rider was just great. (I quess he was like Dutch champion or something)

That's true, I like that. I also like the colored POC P5. Their TT bikes are sweet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com