Cervélo 2015 lineup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

You are really a piece of work... Absolutely everywhere cervelo has been stating that number is for the full bike. Look at the original bikerumor article. Damon himself on slowtwitch a week ago said the gains were from wheels and bars only. They also said on cervelo forum that all details would be explained precisely in October when the bikes are available. Just because some journalists misinterpret what cervelo says doesn't mean it's what cervelo told them

Permon

by Permon

Still not fair enought.
When did the producers started to employ another components in the measurement?
I think right now....they found out that they were not able to impove the aerodynamics anymore....well....how to make marketing about this ZERO improvement. Aha, ok lets compare old model on shallow rim Fulcrums and put 80mm HED wheels on the new model.
YEAH, here comes the NEW SUPER BIKE.

And what am I supposed to think about the stiffness improvement of 35%?
Did Cervelo just changed the method and started measuring stiffness of a bike including wheels? :shock:
Aha, they just picked up the stiffest available and the stiffness appeared.

GREAT DONE.

P.S. In some thread around here somebody said, Cervelo company are just engineers, lacking marketing people.
Well, it seems like the engineeres were fired sometime ago and marketing people were hired instead. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phatphuk

by phatphuk

It is what it is...
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wrote:"...
(Redirected from Press junket)
..the press junket...generally includes press releases, advertising campaigns, merchandising and media, and interviews with the key people involved...As with all business it is an important part of any release because of the inherent high financial risk; film studios will invest in expensive marketing campaigns to maximize revenue early in the release cycle.
..."

[continued]
Last edited by phatphuk on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Permon

by Permon

Exactly. The new S5 appeared and everybody saw number of 21watts.
That is what matters. Now, everybody says...hey man, did you see the new S5, it is even faster than the old one...and by unbealiveable 21watts.
It works like this. Only a few people will go to cervelo.com to read white paper to find out that the numbers are the same as the old model.
(maybe myself, justkeeppedaling and 6more guys will read the white paper)
The rest is amazed by the number from Eurobike. A matter of fact.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I somewhat agree that it was not the proper way to disclose the numbers. Things were misheard in translation, and not presented the right way. They are trying to present a case of system optimization as it is getting increasingly harder to improve the design.

But it's for sure that the stiffness numbers are frame/fork. Look at how beefy that fork is and with the tapered headtube, and with RCA toptube. No more full airfoil tube shapes, either.

The S3 and S2 revisions are already much stiffer than the old S5. This is just getting the S5 up to par

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Oy. No use discussing this with you. Another thread about marketing vs engineering. I'm out.

phatphuk

by phatphuk

Don't let the doorknob hit ya... :P

It really fascinates me to witness in this forum and others how spending X amount of money more than the overall market average price for a bike, somehow fires some kind of naivety neuron in the brains of high-end bike buyers. Truly marvelous!

And then anybody who comes along and offers a different, more objective perspective than theirs, they get all bent out of shape. Why is that? I really wish somebody could explain that to me. Please?

And for the record, that's not a swipe at Cervelo owners. I observe the same phenomena right across the board in owners of muy, muy expensive bikes of ALL brands.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Does Cervelo do demo events in the US? I can't seem to find any info online about it.

I just did a couple of Specialized demo day events where you can take out a demo bike for an extended test ride. You get a much better feel for the bike and don't have to worry about scratching up a brand new bike off the dealer floor.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

phatphuk wrote:Don't let the doorknob hit ya... :P

It really fascinates me to witness in this forum and others how spending X amount of money more than the overall market average price for a bike, somehow fires some kind of naivety neuron in the brains of high-end bike buyers. Truly marvelous!

And then anybody who comes along and offers a different, more objective perspective than theirs, they get all bent out of shape. Why is that? I really wish somebody could explain that to me. Please?

And for the record, that's not a swipe at Cervelo owners. I observe the same phenomena right across the board in owners of muy, muy expensive bikes of ALL brands.

Kind of neat the way it always happens when you offer your opinions...........maybe its not everyone else...........maybe its you?

phatphuk

by phatphuk

I thought you were "out"? I knew you'd come back ;)

Ya know? You could be right! The Moms always told me I was special. But I never took it to heart. Ya know? Figured it was just one of those things all Moms say. But you've just made me realize that maybe old Moms is right after all! Thanks buddy. :thumbup:

All of a sudden I'm feeling all Verklempt :cry: Excuse me for a while. I need to go make a long distance phone call. Talk amongst yourselves...:cry:

:mrgreen:

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Whilst the 21 watts is clearly a marketing claiming, its impressive that the new S5 drag is the same as the old frame with stiffness improvements up front and better tire clearance.

mjduct

by mjduct

Where's the guy who argues that any component measured alone without the rest of the bike/ rider combo isn't valid? I'd think he would be giddy about this approach, the wheels and bar tested with everything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

That's nothing new of what Cervelo has done in testing. The new thing is the switch out of the wheels in the comparison.

As long as they're transparent in their official release, I could care less

phatphuk

by phatphuk

justkeepedaling wrote:"...I could care less..."

Being precise is a good thing in engineering. Right?

Then with you being an engineer and all (and me being an unabashed pedant), I imagine you might appreciate this little exercise in fine-grained precision I dreamt up for your amusement on a lazy Sunday afternoon...

Let us specify a continuum of "Degrees of Caring". On a scale of 0 to 10, 10 indicates, "I care a lot" and 0 indicates "I absolutely don't care at all".

Given this specification, then somebody saying, I could care less would be typically understood as that person meaning, "My degree of caring is at 2 on the scale. That is to say, I care a little. But I could care less" ["less" being either 1 or 0 on our scale in this case].

However when somebody says, "I could not care less", then that is saying, "My degree of caring is at 0 on the scale. That is to say, I absolutely do not care at all".

So I believe what you should have said - for absolute semantic precision - is, "I couldn't care less".

Fun. No? :mrgreen:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I care about 1/10, because they should have been more insistent on journalists stating specifically that the gain was for the system, some followed, some didn't.

That's about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com