Cervélo 2015 lineup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

Completely agree, the new R5 looks pretty awful. I was considering replacing my 2012 R5 but I think I'll hold out another year.

Contrast to this one, the P5 defending Ironman world champion Frederik Van Lierde rode this year in Kona. It looks really good.

Last edited by maquisard on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

drmutley wrote:I have a new R5.... Top tube is about to be painted gloss black... It's hideous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demurely please do post a photo of your R5 when painted. Even though I like the frame as is I bet it will look good with a glossy black top tube. Out of interest why did you buy the frame considering you don't like how it looks?

drmutley

by drmutley

konky wrote:
drmutley wrote:I have a new R5.... Top tube is about to be painted gloss black... It's hideous!

Demurely please do post a photo of your R5 when painted. Even though I like the frame as is I bet it will look good with a glossy black top tube. Out of interest why did you buy the frame considering you don't like how it looks?

Well I had to update my old RS as it has cracked... I couldn't be bothered warrantying the frame as it holds great sentimental value... I have a S1 & S5, so needed another R series bike.... I had my heart set on a R3 as I think the color scheme is superb, but as it doesn't come with DA Di2, and building it up from a frameset works out more expensive than buying the R5 and getting a custom toptube paintjob done...

konky

by konky

I got you. Good luck with the paint job.

drmutley

by drmutley

konky wrote:I got you. Good luck with the paint job.

Cheers mate, will post some pics after Xmas when it's done....

eric01

by eric01

I'd buy an R5 in a heartbeat if it was painted like that green/black P5
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Yeah, Cervelo has stopped innovating.

53x12

by 53x12

eric01 wrote:I'd buy an R5 in a heartbeat if it was painted like that green/black P5

+1.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

konky

by konky

justkeepedaling wrote:Image

Yeah, Cervelo has stopped innovating.

The above quote I think unfairly gives a derogatory impression of today's Cervelo. When Sastre won the tour in 2008 on a R3SL it was probably the best bike available at the time, certainly one of them. Since then the R series has only really been tweaked but the 2014/2015 R5 is a much better frame than the original R3 and I think still one of the best frames you can buy today, if not the best. They've made it lighter, stiffer and more aerodynamic but for me the real change is the rock solid handling it now has. It has always scored 10 out of 10 for it's light weight, stiffness and comfort but now it handles like a Pinarello as well. It's fabulously smooth and solid now.
The point is Cervello are a technology driven company but have never been great innovators. Since 2011 the new owners have continued on the same path as Vroomen and white just perfecting the basics. The 2014/15 R5 represents in my view the biggest leap forward in that respect. My 2011 R5 was definitely an improvement on my 2008 R3SL, but my 2015 R5 is significantly better again. The new owners, Pon Bicycle Group, have continued to make supple but significant changes to the R series and in fact to a greater degree than when Vroomen and white owned Cervelo.

wingguy

by wingguy

I agree with what you've just said, except that I think you'll find the guy you responded to was being fascetious :wink:

mca56

by mca56

Is that an RCA or R5 on the scale at 920 grams?

dunbar42

by dunbar42

That's an RCA, the picture was also posted on the Cervelo forums.

eric01

by eric01

Re: the pic of that RCA on the scale. Did they get rid of the metal coating on the fork steerer? Looks like normal carbon to me
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

They did indeed. That fork is 260 grams uncut

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

In that case the Rca is quite porky at 660g without any hardware. :D
Overweight considering the posted one is size 54cm.