fibre lyte gear mech plate and jockey wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomWhite59

by TomWhite59

Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with fibre lyte mech plates and carbon jockey wheel? Due to upgrade my terrible xexon rear mech to a centaur and was wondering if anyone runs with these or thinks I should steer clear?
Thanks, Tom
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/fl_cycles_carbon_gear_mech.html
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/fl_cycles_carbon_pulley_wheel.html

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I run both on my Sram Red RD and they've been great so far. Really well made and super easy to install.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I used the minimalist version of the campagnolo rear derailleur carbon plate for almost 3 years, before it snapped on a long ride. I could still route the chain over the jockey wheels and carry on but had to use the 14 teeth cog to get the straightest chainring possible. After riding close to 80km like that, the rear derailleur cage was slightly warped and I had to get a new one.

I've since decided against risking the possibility of ruining a super record rear derailleur to save a few grams...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Running the 2gram cage on a Campag Record RD and no problems, whish they'd make one for the fron tplate - if that could be done

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

dereksmalls wrote:Running the 2gram cage on a Campag Record RD and no problems, whish they'd make one for the fron tplate - if that could be done

I want to try the ultra light version for Sram Red RD, but wonder if there's a risk of the chain derailing without tabs on the cage plate?

LePouletTrapu

by LePouletTrapu

I've got both and they are great. I would say to be careful of the bolt inserts on the mech plate since these do protrude and can catch your spokes if you have some obscure lacing pattern or tied spokes (one of the carbon spoke ties on my lightweights used to catch the bolt insert ever so slightly). The jockey wheels are super smooth and I've not come across anything smoother however they do wear down and become throwing stars relatively quickly but you can't expect much else from carbon, if you don't have a problem with the cost and more regular replacement you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

TomWhite59

by TomWhite59

Thanks for all your comments. Will definitely be buying these components.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have had their products for years and they are amazing. I have the plates, pulleys, custom chainrings, spiderless chainrings and some custom single speed cogs and spacers. Everything has held up for years. They make a great product.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

jdp211

by jdp211

Had a mech plate that ran well for a few weeks before snapping in half while working on the bike in a workstand. I wouldn't recommend it.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

What were you doing to it to snap it? I've had mine for probably 2-3 years now with no problems at all and has been swapped between 3 RDs so far without a single issue - and I'm a shitty rough mechanic too

rjk8

by rjk8

drainyoo wrote:I run both on my Sram Red RD and they've been great so far. Really well made and super easy to install.

+1
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

I have one on a dura ace 7900 it's been modified heavily. It's only has the two holes and the piece between, just like a dog bone shape weight is around two grams if I can remember but hasn't been any problems .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Ditto all the above positive comments. I have both on many bikes without any problems.

BmanX

by BmanX

Operator error I would venture a guess if it had issues.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RC856

by RC856

Hi,
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I was found this as I was thinking about what small and relatively cheap mods I could do.
I know the mech plate is cosmetic but do the jockey wheels perform well?
I've thought of aftermarket ones before but was told they can be too stiff compared to the OEM ones.
Fiberlyte say theirs have some play so does this solve that issue?

Lastly, I have a Campag Centaur chainset, Record front and rear mechs with a KMC chain.
Is it worth getting the Fiberlyte chainrings? I'm currently very happy with the Campag shifting.
I guess the main thoughts are with the durability of the rings compared to OEM.

I'll possibly go lighter with the crank arms at a later date.

Cheers