HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 am 

after a few years with my favourite shoe being the s-works, my old ones finally were retired and replaced with the current (2013?) model

but i just don't like the fit as much, length is ok, width is ok at the widest part of my foot, but when it gets to the toe box they have far too much volume, using the velcro strap to get the fit similar to the older model creates a huge crease in the shoe

now i'm thinking of switching to the lake cx402 (like the style and i'm attracted by the speedplay sole option)

old s-works size label: eu 46 / us 13
new s-works size label: eu 46 / us 12.35

in both cases i found 45 too small and shops did not have half sizes to try, with 46 doing the 'pinch test' there's a few mm space at the tip of big toe, maybe 45.5 would be ok but probably not much in it

btw i use esoles e-fit with the highest arch support fitted, but these add no bulk at the forefoot vs. the normal insoles

sidi winter shoes 46, a bit snugger than the s-works, wouldn't want them any smaller

non-cycling, my old comfy converse all stars us 11, other shoes uk 10 / us 11

i looked at lake's website and according to the instructions for measuring foot size i'm about 285mm longest, 105mm widest, the size chart says eu 45 / us 11 probably regular fit

i've never tried lake shoes before and have no idea on the fit vs. s-works, if i plump for the lakes i'll be buying online from germany so really want to get it right, it looks like regular width will be ok, but the question is do i go with 45? 45.5? 46?

if you've ridden both, it would be really useful to know how you found sizing

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm 

I could just fit into the 44.5 2013 S-Works (tried 44.5 and 45.0), but otherwise i use 45.0 in just about every other road cycling shoe. I write for a magazine, and tried a lot of models over the last few years (Giro, Pearl Izumi, Shimano, Northwave, FLR, SIDI, Rapha/Giro, Diadora, Specialized). I ended with Lake 402 (and also 401 a few years back) in 45.0 as well.

Their size chart (Lake) advised me to 45.5 based on the length of my foot, but 45.5 was a bit to big. I know that the last of the 401/402 differs just a little bit from the rest of their range, so that might be the reason for that.

Old and new S-works have different lasts. I guess you could be on slightly smaller 2013 models? 45.5? Buying shoes without trying them is difficult, all feet are different. I heard some riders need to size up a half size changing to Specialized, while I could go down 1/2 size.