Shoes with off-centre cleat positions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Am getting some rubbing on the crankarms from my shoe frequently, and I've already pushed my cleats as far in towards the medial of the body as my Northwave shoes will allow. I recently did some browsing in the store and it seems like the S-works shoes have their holes drilled more to the inside of the foot; is it just an illusion or could a new pair of these be the solution? Or are there shoes out there which are specifically designed like that? I'm using Look grip cleats.

I'm not sure if adding spacers to the pedals will be an easier (and much cheaper solution), comments?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kdawg

by kdawg

I've got those axle extenders on my bikes and they do the job - I probably only needed 10mm so I pushed my cleats the other way as far as they would go. I think you can get shorter ones but they're a lot more expensive.

Fairly solid stainless steel so not very WW but my knees are worth a few grams.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

kdawg

by kdawg

You can just use pedal washers but I've read that you can only use a mm or two - beyond that not enough threads are in your cranks.

You can get Speedplay pedals with a longer axle which is probably the neatest way of doing it.

Kneesavers.net do a titanium version which weighs about half - they look a bit slimmer than the Specialized ones too. 3oz steel or 1.6oz titanium.

They also do longer ones - not shorter though.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

BRM

by BRM

I assume you still use the Keo Blades as in your signature topic?
Figure out how much longer spindles you exactly need, then ask Ward Industries what they can deliver.
Also wardhyde on ebay delivers longer than standard spindles for your pedals.

Or update immediately your total pedal system and adjust that new system to your preferences.
Then sell your old stuff.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Am using the new Keo blade 2 right now, so a change of spindles is not possible anymore I think. The pedal extenders are a really good idea, I'll check out the local shop for it, thanks!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

My last pair of Look Keo max carbons came with spacers (washers). I think they are only 2mm a side. If your pedals came with them, give them a try, it's free!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com