Bmc Granfondo, sram red disc and BB questions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

My current road bike, an Isaac Proton, has some cracks around the drive side bb area. This is my second proton as my earlier model developed play in the bb area. The frame i have now has a completely different bb standard, so it is not the same error that is reoccuring.

So, if the manufacturer is going to offer me a new frame, I'm thinking of getting another brand. The bmc granfondo disc and the team machine are on my list. The disc frame has got my attention as i think that in two years that is what we will see on bikes from red to rival/dura ace to 105 level. Especially for folks like me who don't race, but who like to ride sportive.

The big questions are: is the sram red disc kit already available on non oem level and what type of bb does the granfondo/team machine use?

Who of you has a granfondo and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Oswald

by Oswald

I have a 2013 BMC GF01 with rim brakes.
The frame is light, plenty stiff, compliant and has room for +28mm tires. The ride is pretty smooth with 25mm tires and superplush with 28mm tires.
Only downside for me is the short top tube. I have a 54cm frame with a 54,2 cm top tube, and with a 13cm stem, the cockpit feels cramped. My TCR has a 55,5cm top tube and a 13cm stem. So I'm thinking of switching to a 14cm stem.

It has a BB86 Press Fit bb. Wished it had a normal threaded bb, because I'm not a fan of Press Fit bb. On the workstand the crancks don't spin very easily. My old TCR with Dura Ace 7700 Octalink bb just keeps on spinning. And that bike gets ridden in Belgian winter weather and doesn't get cleaned often. Thinking of switching to ceramic bearings once the bb wears out on the BMC.

Not sure about disc brakes. I don't see a need for them on a road bike. They will probably be common within the next couple of years, but what standard will be used? It's possible that whatever disc you buy now will be an obsolete system within 2 years once the manufacturers have agreed upon a standard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Also, the BMC framesets are expensive compaired to a complete bike. So it's probably best to buy a complete bike and then replace whatever parts you don't like.
I bought a Ultegra 6700 GF01 and replaced the groupset with a Dura Ace 7900, the Fizik saddle with an SLR, etc...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Oswald thanks for your replies. They have explained a lot of my questions.

As for Disc brakes on road bikes. Esp the Sram RED discs. when will we even see them? Sram has them on their website, a few sources show them online, but don't stock them.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I don't have experience with Red Disc and have seen them on OEM frames but not separate. I have the Shimano Hydraulic brakes and I love them. The consistency of response and running them with carbon rims in all conditions is great.

As far as the BMC, my only experience is with their TT bikes. They were well made and beautiful but the ride wasn't "special". It was more muted and not as inspiring like other bikes I've had (multiple Cannondale and Ridleys). I definitely agree with the road disc choice but I would look for a different frame personally.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks for the reply. Is anyone else in the know of when or if the Sram Red discs are Shipping?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com