Chinese carbon bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

spdntrxi wrote:I have the fake bontrager XXX on my bike 15g a piece. They hold my Elite bottles just fine and my podium chill too. I have some scratch labs bottle that is a little loser then the others. My wife bike has the legit Bontrager XXX cages also 15g but $80 per pop.. they are a little more snug on all bottles .

15 grams is impressive and if it holds Camelbak snug then I'm in. Can you post link where you got the fake version?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simnorm

by simnorm

search "bontrager xxx race lite cage" on aliexpress.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I bought two (obviously fake) Bontrager XXX lites form China a few years ago.
One didn't hold the standard bottles at all, too wide. Had to glue some felt layers inside for it to work.
The other one, the bottom tab broke after the first ride.

I threw them in the bin without any guilt on the second day.

If I was in a hurry and had no $$, I'd buy plastic or alloy cages.

Louis :)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

got the xxx's from ebay seller was in china
swallow-1111 (48 )

they deliver them pretty fast too... faster then most things I have got from china before.

Snug is subjective, I think they hold my Elite bottles and podium chill fine. I also have a polar bottle .. pretty snug as well. all these bottle are insulated even the elites. My non insulated bottle are Rapha Bidons... those are fine as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

superdx

by superdx

I also have the fake Bontrager XXX cages, they really are 15g and the ones I got, hold the bottles fine. No rattling at all. I have Polar and CamelBak Podium bottles. They fit well.

Getter

by Getter

I bought two pairs back in 2009...they are still being used today. Friend lost a bottle on a descent...but he hit that bump real hard.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Anyone interested in providing a link to those fake bontrager xxx cage? Preferably an eBay one? Thanks.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Bontrager is not in the title though, how did you come across this? Unless you bought from this seller, who'd knew to search for "Light-New-road-Bike-MTB-Water-Bottle-Cage-Holder-Carbon-UD-Matt-in-Black"?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I used one sided Chinese carbon bottle cages for a few months. Bought both from Hongfu.
They both were identical on holding the bottle. Same size. Also it didn't break during the period of use.
So I can say that they were good quality.

But they were not strong enough on holding bottle and after some time I just threw them out.
Now I am using Zipp Alumina cages, which are holding the bottle really really well and just 8 grams heavier each.

I know this is weight weenies, but I can't risk to ride back home without any water for an hour, after a long ride.
(Which happened once)

MNX1024

by MNX1024

mpulsiv wrote:

Bontrager is not in the title though, how did you come across this? Unless you bought from this seller, who'd knew to search for "Light-New-road-Bike-MTB-Water-Bottle-Cage-Holder-Carbon-UD-Matt-in-Black"?

This was the exact reason why I requested a link. No idea what to search for.

@simnorm Do you mind providing an aliexpress link too?

Members here are saying they weigh 15g, but the seller is saying 18-20. So, what's the verdict on the actual weight?

Marin

by Marin

You just search for carbon bottle cage and then browse until you find one, same on ebay and aliexpress...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

ToffieBoi wrote:
Now I am using Zipp Alumina cages, which are holding the bottle really really well and just 8 grams heavier each.

I was looking at Zipp Alumina as well. 27 grams as listed? http://zipp.com/accessories/detail.php?ID=16748
http://www.competitivecyclist.com no longer carry them, it had poor reviews :-(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simnorm

by simnorm

The other is slightly lighter