Di2 Sprint shifters at the top of the bar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Anyone know if it is possible to extend the cables on the sprint shifters and mount them on the top of the bar, instead of the climbing switch? For a more clean look. And then mount one in each side to shift up and down. Last Question, where do you plug the shifters in? At the junction box or at the shifter?

Hope you can help me out :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

If I remember corectly this setup was actually used by Purito. Here is the link and good photo on cyclingnews.

Sprint shifters have to be connected to the levers, because they have a special port only available in the levers. They are also missing the "brain" unlike the climbing buttons or shifter levers, so basically they cannot function on their own. There is one port in each lever, so you have to connect one sprint button per lever - no way how to connect both to one lever.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

GorrGrimWolf wrote:If I remember corectly this setup was actually used by Purito. Here is the link and good photo on cyclingnews.

Sprint shifters have to be connected to the levers, because they have a special port only available in the levers. They are also missing the "brain" unlike the climbing buttons or shifter levers, so basically they cannot function on their own. There is one port in each lever, so you have to connect one sprint button per lever - no way how to connect both to one lever.

Just Like in the picture :-) just on the other side, so i can you both of my thumps. I will order some and see if they are long enough or i do have to extend the cables. :-)

djwalker

by djwalker

I bought some sprint shifters with the same idea in mind. The cables are fairly short. They are long enough to put the button in about the middle of the top of the bar. Because this is where me fingers normally went I decided against it. I wanted to put them nearer to the center of the bars where I could reach them without moving my hand but not under my fingers. However, there are only 2 wires so you could easily solder n a extension in the middle of the wire. However, I sent them back because they don't work with 6770 shifters.

kode54

by kode54

someone here on the WW forum did that. placed the buttons on the underside of the bars close to the stem. i believe that the attached cable is long enough to reach to the special plugs on shifters.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

aerogurl

by aerogurl

If you are going to cut/solder anyway, skip the official shimano sprint shifters.

Simply buy a standard long EW-SD50 e-tube wire, cut it in half, solder on a Cateye remote button to each end (or any momentary switch of your choice), and plug into the sprint shifter port on your 6870 or 9070 shift levers. Use a short length of 30mm heat shrink tubing to hold the button to your bars.

Shimano wants you to believe that the plugs for sprint shifters are different from the standard e-tube, but they aren't.

cateye buttons:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes/P ... 28__400128

aaric

by aaric

easy way to do this is to splice some cateye remote buttons in. There's a thread here somewhere about doing it. It's pretty simple soldering, as there are just two wires to connect to.

2old4this

by 2old4this

No, the length of the sprinter shifter cables are not long enough to place them close to the stem (true for both 7970 and 9070) for my 40 cm handlebars. You still need a pair of shimano sprint shifters since you need the plug that connects to the brake lever. You can do what a few of us have done; use a soldering iron to add a second pair of switches that goes on top of the handle bar. The original one goes to the drops as originally intended. :-)
On day long trips, my main shifters are the switches on top of the bars. I love 'em.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

2old4this wrote:No, the length of the sprinter shifter cables are not long enough to place them close to the stem (true for both 7970 and 9070) for my 40 cm handlebars. You still need a pair of shimano sprint shifters since you need the plug that connects to the brake lever. You can do what a few of us have done; use a soldering iron to add a second pair of switches that goes on top of the handle bar. The original one goes to the drops as originally intended. :-)
On day long trips, my main shifters are the switches on top of the bars. I love 'em.

This sounds ideal. Do you have any pics of your setup or can you explain in more detail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Your right Ltoddokc this sounds ideal... I'm the king with a soldering iron ( :D ), I will def put a picture up, when i'm done. But a picture would be great 2old4this? :)

2old4this

by 2old4this

I am out on vacation but will be back next Saturday. I'll post pictures then.

Though there is not much to doing it. Simply cut the wires, strip a small amount, solder the tiny wires, unsolder them (cause I forgot to put the shrink tubes first :twisted:), re-solder and shrink the tubes. That's practically it.

Oh BTW, I had to add about 2" extra wire to the switches on the top. If you're like me, who prefers the switches very close to the stem, you'll need that extra length of wire.

Having said all that, there is an alternative....
On a second bike, I took out the plastic casing of the 610 and spray painted the switch. :twisted: it seems to be watertight.

Either way, shifting on top of handlebar rocks....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

any news ? are yuo still on holidays ?
http://eliflap.it/