CANNONDALE SPIDERING - INSTALL/SETUP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I have just ordered the Spidering (compact) for my Evo and I have a question about installation. I currently have the MKV rings. I have never removed my cranks since I purchased the bike so I am not sure what the washer situation is like on the bike. My general question is will putting on the Spidering effect my chain line in any way or will it be ok with leaving the washers they way they are. Is this going to be a simple take off and put on or will I need to adjust a few things. Appreciate any input from anyone that has done this.

2013 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO RED RACING EDITION
HOLLOWGRAM SISL2 CRANKS WITH MKV RINGS - COMPACT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Follow these directions exactly and you will have to problems once you have the tool to remove your existing spider. http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... _2016.html

G6612

by G6612

Would my bike have the 109mm spindle? Which I assume it does and would I need to apply any loc-tite to the lock ring or just torque to spec.?

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

changing rings should have no effect on spacers on spindle, although it might affect chainline slightly - but unlikely.
just make note of the spacers you have and which side they're on (they are written drive/non-drive on the ones that matter), just torque lockring to spec.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

I installed a Spidering on 2012 Hollowgrams and the chain was violently dropping off the big ring when I was in large/small. It was a one for one swap, but according to a thread on here, I should have messed around with my spacers. YMMV

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Replacing the MK V rings with a Spidering on my SISL made no difference to the chain-line. It was a straight swap.

Use Loctite (242?) before torqueing the lock-ring.

The Specialized BB30 lock-ring tool apparently works if you can't get the Cannondale one.

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

i'd like to jump in on this topic if I may- I have my super six Hi-mod frame set en route right now. Will be a complete custom build. Would this spider ring be the optimal choice for making this a real climbing purpose rig? Im currently in Italy and some of the switchbacks are epic (I did the stelvio pass on my cervelo) I can't decide on what BB, or the setup. Highly considered Q rings but could use some "been there, done that" retrospect advice. Thanks in advance.

eric

by eric

Any 110mm BCD crank with a 34t small ring would be good for epic climbs. The spiderrings are cool in that they are a bit lighter than a separate spider/ring setup but that's their only advantage.

That said my ideal bike would probably have SISL2 cranks with 50/34 spiderrings and a stages PM as that's the lightest practical setup at the moment.
I'm not sold on Q rings being an advantage since they artificially inflate the power readings and the only positive studies have been sponsored by the manufacturer. However they are probably don't decrease power.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Q-rings are stupid. They have been shown to have absolutely no effect on power output - therefore no reason unless you find they magically resolve some fit issue for you.

Spiderring on the other hand is not stupid, and should be your choice, especially on an EVO.. as eric points out, sisl2 + stages = lightest power setup possible

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

No need to quote above

I will reconsider my drawing board for a build. Surprised to hear about the lack of quantitative results from the Q ring route... I'm trying to get this bike build up for next years Stelvio GranFondo (youtube it if you never have...its the most epic of granfondo's i've ever done....) but I'm military and crave endurance races of the sort.

So I am looking at a chris king BB- skeptical on the ceramic bearings route over standard. However, if I go with a Chris King BB... then match with SiSl 170 crank arms, then who should I use for my rings? Yes Im gram conscious here. I looked for a complete spider crank and retail is nearing $800-900 range. Ouch. :cry:

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

You can often find them on ebay for less - ceramic bearing is nice but high quality steel is nearly as good and usually lasts longer IME..
Spiderring is ultimate for weight, personally I use sisl2 with praxis rings to get 52/36 ratio - spiderring doesn't come that way :( but it's not much heavier even with spider, bolts, etc. - perhaps 40g I would guess.

G6612

by G6612

Just to give an update installed spidering no problems just had to adjust a little. MKV rings weighed 152 grams spidering ring came in at 158 not weight savings maybe I had 6 grams of wear.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Anyone know the 12 point bit size required for the new Hollowgram cranks?

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:
Spiderring is ultimate for weight, personally I use sisl2 with praxis rings to get 52/36 ratio - spiderring doesn't come that way :( but it's not much heavier even with spider, bolts, etc. - perhaps 40g I would guess.

how about this set up for the himod- chris king bb (still not sure which one or if it will be the best option) matched with SiSl2 cranks and the praxis rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Herb5998 wrote:Anyone know the 12 point bit size required for the new Hollowgram cranks?

The crank bolt on outside of crankarm? It's still a 10mm.

@Puro - can't go wrong with that.