Panaracer tubies?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

Just started riding a new pair of tubs. I live in asia and For some reason the more popular brands- continental, vittoria, and veloflex are all quite difficult to get a hold of and overpriced! ( unless you're going for the cheaper tubs, like sprinter gatorskins...) Most of the shops here have panaracers- specifically the Race Type A and extreme Jets. Similar in price to conti sprinters, just easier to get hold of at the LBS.

Anyone have experience with these? are perhaps contis worth the trouble to get hold of online if I need a tub in a hurry?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Last edited by Guerdi on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Guerdi, davidalone is talking about tubular tyres.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Ouch, the shame :oops:

My bad davidalone, no experience with panaracer tubulars.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

davidalone wrote:Anyone have experience with these? are perhaps contis worth the trouble to get hold of online if I need a tub in a hurry?

Honestly speaking I have bought them once. There was nothing else available close to me and they were relatively cheap.

If my memory serves me well the tubies felt fast on a smooth tarmac. They werent great on rough surfaces, were extremly slippery when wet and they werent really comfortable. I wouldnt buy them again. I guess it was Panaracer A, but I could be wrong...

Dman

by Dman

Panaracer are fantastic.

I use the Race Type D clinchers for training and they are as good as ANY tyre out there. I've converted a lot of people from GP4000s and ZX's after trying them!

I've raced a bit on the Jet Evo tubulars and they roll nicely. Very grippy and fast - I had them on my 1kg lightweight tubulars (20mm tubular rim/Alchmey ELF/ORC hubs). They feel a whole lot better than Continental Sprinters IMO and very rugged. I raced them in a race with a 5km gravel/pave section and afterwards not a single cut so I was happy.

I'd give the Race-Type A a go for sure!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com