Sarto Custom Energia Road Disc: Reviewed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

This turned out pretty nice. Had to wait for updated Hydro discs, but it turned out very good (Pics are of older levers).

Sarto build for guys like Fondriest and a few others that they wont allow mention. They also built the stock bikes for Crumpton (which were very good)…

I’m not sure, but I think these guys are the oldest Italian builders that are doing custom carbon and have built exclusively in Italy since the 50’s… Everyone else has gone off shore.

This is a heck of a nice rig. 14 full build (cages, pedals, bar tape etc)….

Story is here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-spec/sarto-bicycles-custom-energia-disc/

Last edited by CharlesM on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

Verdict? Disc or not to disc?
Stiffer fork, heavier wheel, more overall weight, increased wind drag, no evidence of faster descending (per Tour magazine test). Hmmm....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

:popcorn:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

djconnel wrote:Verdict? Disc or not to disc?
Stiffer fork, heavier wheel, more overall weight, increased wind drag, no evidence of faster descending (per Tour magazine test). Hmmm....

aside, How's your head?

Disc... WAY disc.

AND you need to specific "HYDRAULIC". Lots of folks that have used cable discs for road have no idea how much better Hydro is, but still say "discs are....". cable is not hydro...

Dry, wet, no matter.

It's like race wheels for motorcycles or cars.

A set of light tubular carb wheels is still a light tubular set of carb wheels. The disc weight at the hub is not very notable at all)... Lower inertia, Lower centrifugal force still equal better acceleration and easier handling, but add to that stopping power that is WAAAAAY better than any rim brake on any rim surface. More important than that, modulation is GREAT with these as well (also better than everything else not hydro disc).

As for no faster, I would say that's not right...

Testing these with a couple of guys that descend really well and have a similar background of racing moto, I can tell you that we hang with each other very tightly... Until I got a couple of disc bikes rolling. Once comfortable with these, I found myself pushing more (not everyone has the skill set or desire mind you). And I found myself going faster to the point where I was finding the edge of cornering traction... I actually did find that edge twice and now have an idea where that is and can get up close to it regularly with these brakes. No rim brake allows you the consistent modulation to do that and go faster to the point of leaving behind people of similar skill set...

I would say that the tour guys need better riders to test these... I would also say that I now want to start running 28 section tires and lower pressures to see how the larger contact patch feels... But at that point my worry will be about glue holding...
Last edited by CharlesM on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I'll say that goes for Shimano too. Their stuff is also VERY good... Honestly, I like Hyrdo rim brakes better than anyone else's rim brakes as well, but the disc is just another planet...

Back to the bike... It's also really good. I was pretty surprised to learn that a Sarto were making their own tubes and Fork for this as well. The whole thing turned out very good. Sarto have a lot better handle on Tube to Tube building than they did 3-4 years ago.

djconnel

by djconnel

Cool. The vast majority of the disc craze is cable so far. I need to try the hydro system. The key point is stopping power isn't rate-limiting if you don't have a feel for traction limits.

My head is better. Next time I go trail running in the woods I won't fixate on the trail. Low hanging tree trunks deserve attention! As a martial arts friend said, though, people have been running into trees for millions of years. Which is why the front of the skull is so thick. And no, I wasn't wearing a helmet :).

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Yeah, this is one tree in how many miles? You're probably good for a while.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Nice looking bike. I'll trade you!

micky

by micky

They have been around for long but not sure they are the oldest custom carbon builders.
I know there's a big hype for Sarto right now (for a good reason, they products are good) but let's not jump on the broomwagon.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Mickey, you may absolutely be right. That's why I said I wasn't sure...

I can't think of another well known volume carbon builder that has been exclusively in Italy and building this whole time(since the 50s)...

ergott

by ergott

Can you elaborate on this?

"There’s also a spoke dish offset required."

Are you talking about the standard offset of a front disc hub or something else?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Viner.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

micky wrote:They have been around for long but not sure they are the oldest custom carbon builders.
I know there's a big hype for Sarto right now (for a good reason, they products are good) but let's not jump on the broomwagon.

Where's the hype for them?

micky

by micky

Well, Sarto was well known at least for the guys in the business in Italy but since 1-2 years you see topics about them or bikes in the gallery in this forum while before they would have been extremely rare.

"Hype" might not be the exact term to use in this case but english is not my mother tongue.

Franklin

by Franklin

djconnel wrote:Tour magazine test.
The molten disc test? I take that one with a few wagonloads of salt.

Further: Weight of wheels is actually not more important than weight at different places.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com