Racing with steel ...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I will be off from any bike activity for a year, since we got a new baby and a 22 month old one :lol: ... no time for training...

Anyhow ... I am thinking of making myself a gift in a years time ... a modern steel bike... since I am in love with a certain Baum Ristretto. It will be a present to dad for 3 years of hard hard hard work. The Tour is just a sunday club ride in my eyes in respect with 2 babies in 3 years.

So ... there is a tall guy 1.92m weight 87 kilos (planning to lose another 5 kilos) who has done some amateur racing where he lives in the Open category. Did not win ... but finished above 50% and did not crash. He liked it.

All the races around my area don't have huge climbs. More of hills, and seaside terrain.

So, I am thinking of making a modern steel racing bike using a Baum Ristretto frame. I think that steel has the benefit that does not get unrepairably damaged in a possible crash. It will probably be about a kilo over comparable cost carbon bikes.

Since the whole project will reach about 7k Euro .... and it will be the last bike to own ... even after racing is done ... do you think that it worths the investment ?

Would prefer input from people who race with steel ...

Thanx

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

I race a custom, True Temper S3 steel frame built by Steve Rex. Custom is great for fit. Steel is very forgiving, but could be too flexible for some. Steel can dent in crashes, but could be fixed/repainted (but so can carbon).

I'm not sure if these answers your questions. Please ask specifically what you'd like to know?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I've got a steel bike, steel forks... It's a touch heavy with the forks. With lightweight tubs it's still 8kg - lighter than a lot of the alu and even carbon frames people will be racing on.

Go for it.

NealH

by NealH

In my opinion, carbon makes the best race bikes in general. Modern carbon can be constructed with virtually all the desirable characteristics in a race bike - including being light weight. However, the differences between hardware (bike frame material included) pales compared to training induced and genetic output differences. If someone riding a high zoot carbon bike can beat me, he will also beat me on a cheap Motorbecane steel bike. My primary concern on a steel bike is front end shake or shimmy on fast descents. Its inexcusable so if you decide on steel, be sure you have recourse with the vendor should your bike exhibit this behavior. It tends to be more prevalent with steel frames/forks.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

The bike will be a Baum Ristretto with an Enve 1.0 fork it will not have a steel fork. From what I have been told it can be made stiff. Surely, being repairable as a material is a plus but main concern is if a modern steel bicycle with carbon fork and equivalent equipment in the end of the day will make u say I should go carbon cause the material prevents me from accomplishing that extra something to be trully competitive. That is on amateur level ...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

If you are at a point that;
you can't improve your performance more and you need the seconds that carbon frame will save for you, so you can win a race, go for it.
If you still can't win a race with a carbon frame, why ride something you will not enjoy? Go for steel.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

You mention seaside and I think "rust". If I lived near the sea and didn't want carbon fiber I'd get either titanium or stainless steel.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I've also got a 22 month old, with another due in 6 weeks.

There's always time for training.

mentok

by mentok

agreed ;) my 15mo calls the garage "daddy" - i think she thinks i live out there...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

NealH wrote:In my opinion, carbon makes the best race bikes in general. Modern carbon can be constructed with virtually all the desirable characteristics in a race bike - including being light weight.

It's like nearly every consumer product, all depends on who is making it. I'm back on my steel bike (incidentally a Ristretto as well) and it rides considerably better than a lot of carbon bikes I've had.

To compare a custom made steel bike, of nearly any custom builder, against a mass produced carbon bike isn't apples to apples. Not to say there aren't some great mass produced carbon out there, only none have the feel of customised steel. Or a customised frame in general.

I'm sure this will turn in to yet another 'carbon vs alloy' or 'weight vs ride feel' thread, which we've flogged to death on here. So OP I recommend you go with what really gets your pulse racing when you look at it. It won't be your last ever bike (we all like to fool ourselves and say that it will be) but a Ristretto will last you a long time. They're also corrosion treated. Not to say it won't rust ever, but I live on the coast and after nearly 5 years mine is fine.

Other option if weight and corrosion are a concern is the Romano. But again, stick with what the heart is truly after. And always keep in mind, you're not getting dropped because your frame is 500g heavier than the carbon one next to you.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Wonder how the Baum compares to my stock Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't change anything about the geometry.

I race it with Ultegra 6800 and Hed wheels. Stiff, comfortable and responsive.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

lobular

by lobular

I think it's definitely worth the investment....I've recently gone to something similar (Independant Fabrication steel, Enve 1.0 fork) after a long list of carbon bikes. Not custom for me, but pretty damn close. It handles and rides beautifully, and with lightish wheels/bar/saddle/post etc I don't think the weight would be even 1kg from the most recent carbon bike (will get weights soon). It's certainly 'race worthy', but depends on whether you're OK laying it down when someone chops you on a corner. For me, I'd rather do that on a cheap carbon/AL bike. However as a bike for 80% of my riding, the steel is first pick these days.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

jmilliron wrote:Wonder how the Baum compares to my stock Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 at a fraction of the price.

I knew this would be the immediate response, hence why I said.

Tinea Pedis wrote:Not to say there aren't some great mass produced carbon out there, only none have the feel of customised steel. Or a customised frame in general.

Which you can obviously extend to any mass produced bike, of any material. Not trying to rubbish anyone's bike choice or claim that custom will always be better than, say, a Ritchey, TCR or a Tarmac. Especially as the latter two both impressed me with how they ride.

The question was "do you think that it worth the investment ?"

Which given everything the OP is looking to do with the bike and the fact he's looking at custom in the first place (so maybe wanting something that is not as commonly seen), my recommendation (having been on either side of the equation) is that the bike he's looking at will tick all the boxes the OP wants filled.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Thank you all. Steel love it is ...

russianbear

by russianbear

Ritchey Road Logic is a steel bike, fyi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com