Veloflex Carbon or Arenberg?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Getting back on the road with tubulars for me was actually easier than trying to patch an inner tube. Removed valve core, poured some Stan's sealant, gave it a couple whirls, and pumped back up and was riding again. Didn't need to wrestle off the clincher tire, tire levers or trying to remount tires. After two punctures, I think I can get back on the road within 10 minutes now.

dha

by dha

1415chris wrote:For the records London-Surrey with the stress on Surrey as the most part of the race was ridden in Surrey ;)

Fair point ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

dha wrote:
1415chris wrote:For the records London-Surrey with the stress on Surrey as the most part of the race was ridden in Surrey ;)

Fair point ;)

I pu55ied out and put on my alu clinchers. No punctures though, and just under 41km/h avg

In a ride with that number of competitors and the conditions it would be really interesting if they collected detailed data on what tyres people were riding, how many punctures etc.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dha

by dha

I only have zipps at the moment so had to go with them. It was interesting at times. If I had alu wheels I would have ran with them, no question.

stl516

by stl516

If Vittoria CX was cheaper, would you get this? What is difference?

dha

by dha

For an example of how the carbon (and I would assume Arenberg) resist punctures here is what I have just removed from them after this weekends Ride London-Surrey. Which for those who don't know was particularly wet (up to the BB in places).

Two pieces of flint and three pieces of glass removed.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

This is the secret to using tubs. Checking the tires and removing the diamonds from the tire. Once a week. If they are left in place they will cause punchers

I use both tires on different wheels. I hope the arenburgs last a little longer but it really doesn't matter if what tire u use as long as it's a veloflex and you don't bang 120psi in it, it's a sweet ride :D

fogman

by fogman

A few have mentioned on this thread that the Arenbergs are "plump" with actual measurements closer to 26mm. Does anyone have some actual measurements of the Carbons? Do these also measure slightly larger than their listed 23mm?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

@Fogman - I just measured the Arenbergs on my Campagnolo Bora One (24.5mm-wide rim) and they are bang on 25mm.

sungod

by sungod

the carbon changed, the 22mm officially gaining 1mm to become 23mm, i recall checking when i first got one of the new ones, it measured close to 23mm (on lw obermayer wheel)

on the same wheels arenbergs measure 26mm (checked at 6 bar and 8 bar), maybe the narrower lw rim bed distorts it a bit?

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Instead of going for the continental attack/ force comp combo on my Zipps 303, I'm now looking to buy Veloflex tubs (as advised here).

Was considering giving the 25mm of the Arenberg a try, does anyone have them on a Dogma F8?
Is the F8 tire clearance Ok for the arenbergs?

thanks

fogman

by fogman

I have 25mm Vittoria CX Isogrip tubulars on my Dogma F8. No clearance issues whatsoever. I plan on using Veloflex Arenberg tubulars when these wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Thanks for the info fogman!

LionelB

by LionelB

snowdevlin wrote:Instead of going for the continental attack/ force comp combo on my Zipps 303, I'm now looking to buy Veloflex tubs (as advised here).

Was considering giving the 25mm of the Arenberg a try, does anyone have them on a Dogma F8?
Is the F8 tire clearance Ok for the arenbergs?

thanks

Yes no problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

And I ended up going for carbons, but now that I got them I'm beginning to regret the decision as they look rather thin...

Anyway, do they stretch nice? They look so small, almost like a 26' bike!
I've only tried vittoria and Tufo tubs, and this veloflex look the smallest.