Veloflex Carbon or Arenberg?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timjsharpe

by timjsharpe

I'm a bit of a tubie newbie, currently making my way through the mammoth 'Glueing tubulars' thread (on page 65 of 200).

Like many, I've started by playing it safe, installing a pair of Conti Comp 25s, which are getting better with every ride. Liking the whole tub thing and the fact that they should be at least as puncture proof as my preferred clinchers(GP4000s).

But Veloflex tubs seem to be the WW tub of choice, so perhaps now might be a good time to get a couple for aging over winter.

So, liking the 25mm width rules out the Carbons...but limits me to Arenberg/Roubaix ?

Deciding to go back to 23mm means the Carbons are in...but will I miss that extra bit of rubber?

Anyone rode both?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. I ride both and prefer the 25's over 23's. Just wish my frames had a couple more mm of clearance. Arrenbergs are bigger Carbons, other than that they are the same. I don't "age" them either, but if you feel better doing so, go ahead... :).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

more by accident than design i'm currently running carbon front and arenberg rear

by even greater accident last sunday i ended up doing several km of uk equivalent of strade bianchi and then rock strewn track on them, surprisingly good ride, ended up with the saddle clamp being loosened by the pummelling but the tyres were fine, no cuts/scrapes at all

the arenbergs are plump, they have almost no clearance on my frame, i had to file a bit off the edge of the front mech clamp to avoid tyre rub

carbons are great, but i'm finding after a couple of years ageing they are even better

Zoro

by Zoro

If you like Gucci - try the 25mm FMB silks. Frankly the Veloflex (only used Records) are better made. We may be trying carbons soon.

dha

by dha

Have ran carbons all this year, was worried they wouldn't be totally tough (my first tubular experience) but they have been great. They cut a little, but the cuts are only in the top layer of rubber. I am 64kg and the bike is light but I rode on sandy gravelly roads mid week and they were fine there too.

However I am switching to Arenbergs when these wear out simply for a touch more comfort.

timjsharpe

by timjsharpe

Thanks all, really appreciate it.

@Zoro - would love some FMB silks. Just worry about (i) getting them on as I understand they can be tight and (ii) durability because they're silks. One day...

My Comp 25s are fine in the frame but any plumper and it'd be getting tight. I'll try to find a 'real world' width measurement for the Arenbergs because I've read somewhere they run fatter than the 25mm that's written on them.

@Calnago - point taken on the ageing thing. They'll get aged just because I feel I should wear out the Contis first.

@dha - my all-up-weight is, um, (73kg me+7.5kg bike+1.5kg kit) about 82kg. Probably 9kg heavier than you (god, that's a whole bike's worth).

Zoro

by Zoro

timjsharpe wrote:Thanks all, really appreciate it.

@Zoro - would love some FMB silks. Just worry about (i) getting them on as I understand they can be tight and (ii) durability because they're silks. One day...
Got 6 here all 25mm, 2 types:
25 mm Competition cx (3)
Easy to get on, but I am with you on the durability part. The sidewalls have not cut, but we have had two punctures through the centre of the tread.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

+1 on the Carbon front and Arenberg rear setup.

sungod

by sungod

timjsharpe wrote:<...>
I'll try to find a 'real world' width measurement for the Arenbergs because I've read somewhere they run fatter than the 25mm that's written on them.
<...>

i measured mine, it's just over 26mm wide (measured at 6 bar and 8 bar)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Strada Bianchi going to give those ago. 2 years aging that's a long wait your a patient man.

timjsharpe

by timjsharpe

sungod wrote:
timjsharpe wrote:<...>
I'll try to find a 'real world' width measurement for the Arenbergs because I've read somewhere they run fatter than the 25mm that's written on them.
<...>

i measured mine, it's just over 26mm wide (measured at 6 bar and 8 bar)

That's much appreciated - that might be tight. My frame is fine with 25mm (as the manufacturer says) but 26mm...I need some calipers or something to get an accurate reading for the Contis, as they may run fatter too and I might be able to fit 'em in.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have Nemesis rims with some Conti Comp 25's. And another set of the same wheels, same rims with Arrenbergs. And some very good calipers. I measured them both to be about as close to 25mm as you can get. Very true to size. If your contis fit, the Arrenbergs should as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I have a similar setup to Calnago. Two C59s. I was running Sprinters and when they wore out I switched to Roubaixs. I really enjoy this setup. 25s are definitely a smoother ride than the 23s. Although those Sprinters are smooth as well. Great tires! :beerchug:
Colnago e Campagnolo

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Vagabond... Just wondering if you know the date on your 25mm Roubaixs that you're running on your C59's. Reason I ask is that when Veloflex changed the labeling to the larger "VELOFLEX" on the sidewalls, they did this before they actually made the change from 24mm to 25mm. I had some sent to me saying they were 25's when in fact they were still the 24mm casings but with the new labeling. Long story short is that the 24mm Roubaixs were an ideal size for my C59 and EPQ. The 25's, while I very much like the ride and handling, barely fit and clearance (front fork crown) is so tight that unless the roads are extremely clean there's a lot of "chatter" as little bits of road debris get pushed through the gap.
1) are you sure yours are the 25mm?
2) is the clearance very tight on your Colnagos as it is on mine.

Another WW member (@Eurperg) said with 25's on his C59 he still had like 4mm of clearance or something. I am not even close to that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

The Arenbergs do not fit well on the fork on my c59 or Eps, They do fit but the clearance is so tight that any gravel that sticks to the tire will rub the paint right off the inside of the fork crown. Once I had this touched up I now run the FMB service corsa up front and an Arenberg in the rear. I do not know if it is a manufacturing variance or if the actual wheel make a difference but there was more clearance using my madfiber wheel set then using the campy bora 35's.