Veloflex Carbon or Arenberg?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I had a chance to run Veloflexes Roubaix and could compare them to the A.Dugast Strada 23. Strada should be narrower, but it's about the same size (25mm). Veloflexes seems to better absorb the road buzz, the ride is more silky and they manage potholes easier. Strangely enough A.Dugast Strada seems to be better in corners, the grip is outstanding and the feel is little bit more racier.

Roubaix is nice tub for everyday riding and training. For racing it's little bit too much, especially on the front. But if you prefer nice ride, low PSI and great durability I would go with Roubaix on both. I actually used to race on them as well, since the roads here are nowhere near to perfect and I felt just safer with something heavier.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Calnago, I'm not sure of the date but I bought and mounted them on my Hyperons two months ago. The clearance seems to be fine although it appears 25mm may be the limit for our frames. I haven't noticed any of the chatter you mention but I have' t done any wet PNW winter riding on them yet. The West Coast bike will be sew-ups only and I think the Roubaix will give me a bit more life than the Sprinters.
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

mvacolnago wrote:I do not know if it is a manufacturing variance or if the actual wheel make a difference but there was more clearance using my madfiber wheel set then using the campy bora 35's.

Calnago, perhaps this is a factor. I love climbing so I have Hyperons and plan on Bora Ultra 35s as well. What are yours mounted to out of curiosity?
Colnago e Campagnolo

sungod

by sungod

fwiw just got a new arenberg in the sales, again it's just over 26mm (both cases measured with vernier calipers)

dha

by dha

Picked an Arenberg up on wiggle for £63 yesterday.

1415chris

by 1415chris

If anybody is on the search for Carbon, £55 at Acycles with free UK delivery (didn't check other destinations).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Vagabond wrote:
mvacolnago wrote:I do not know if it is a manufacturing variance or if the actual wheel make a difference but there was more clearance using my madfiber wheel set then using the campy bora 35's.

Calnago, perhaps this is a factor. I love climbing so I have Hyperons and plan on Bora Ultra 35s as well. What are yours mounted to out of curiosity?

I have two sets of Campy Bora Ultra Twos and several sets of wheels with Nemesis rims. Clearance under the C59/EPQ fork is the same... almost nil (<=1.5mm), using the 25mm Roubaixs or Arrenbergs. The 24mm Roubaixs are pretty much perfect for this setup but they don't make those anymore. With the 25's I get lots of "chatter" over roads with small debris. I like the 25's, but if Veloflex still made the 24mm width I'd opt for those for the added clearance in my frames. I do not want to run 23's anymore.

Will be curious to see if the new Boras have a different enough rim bed profile that indirectly might mean they don't sit quite as "high". Even another millimeter clearance would make me much happier. I know Vittoria has 24mm profile tires but I have had the worst luck with Vittorias for cutting.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stl516

by stl516

GorrGrimWolf wrote:I had a chance to run Veloflexes Roubaix and could compare them to the A.Dugast Strada 23. Strada should be narrower, but it's about the same size (25mm). Veloflexes seems to better absorb the road buzz, the ride is more silky and they manage potholes easier. Strangely enough A.Dugast Strada seems to be better in corners, the grip is outstanding and the feel is little bit more racier.

Roubaix is nice tub for everyday riding and training. For racing it's little bit too much, especially on the front. But if you prefer nice ride, low PSI and great durability I would go with Roubaix on both. I actually used to race on them as well, since the roads here are nowhere near to perfect and I felt just safer with something heavier.

How does Velo Roubaix compare to Vittoria CX (320tpi) for road buzz? Arenberg is 1mm wider so more comfortable?

stl516

by stl516

How do you people deal with flats? Do you ride perfectly free roads, or carry spare, etc?

Vagabond

by Vagabond

stl516 wrote:How do you people deal with flats? Do you ride perfectly free roads, or carry spare, etc?

I personally carry a spare sew-up and Vittoria pit stop. I haven't had a flat yet the pit stop doesn't seal up. Once home, I remove the stem and pour in some Stans or Huthcinson goo. Inflate and presto, good for another several months. Washington State has good roads. In DC I ride tubeless Shamals because the roads are filthy. One would burn through a lot of tires here.
Colnago e Campagnolo

mentok

by mentok

i do the same as vagabond, except i'm using the tufo sealant. i haven't had a flat that wouldn't reseal in 18 months (though i only ride tubs on the weekend, and even then, sporadically), but i did manage to spoil a tyre by using too much of the sealant which settled and made a hard spot inside the tube.

also, ammonium based latex solutions in latex tubes is a no-no.

sawyer

by sawyer

Assuming you're riding decent roads and conditions, the chances of a flat that can't be fixed at least partially with Co2 and sealant is quite small ...

So I don't carry a spare tyre on that basis ... bit of a risk

Depends in part on how close you are riding to a bail out option (e.g. railway stations)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

frankmueller

by frankmueller

I've been riding on the old Veloflex Roubaix for some years, 4 tubs within the last 5 years and only one flat tire which was easily repaired with latex milk. On the road I carry Vittoria PitStop.
I'm also riding the new Veloflex Roubaix on my Lightweights and on my C59 they are fitting very tightly through the fork.

I prefer the smooth ride over 23 mm Vittorias and also the Conti Comp. They are robust tubs which I also ride offseason.

dha

by dha

I rode carbons today in the Ride London. No punctures. 90psi for a 64kg rider.

1415chris

by 1415chris

For the records London-Surrey with the stress on Surrey as the most part of the race was ridden in Surrey ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com