Trek: using non-Bontrager stem voids fork warranty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

efeballi

by efeballi

^^Yet all of their ProTour teams use non-Specialized stems?
Regarding the issue with Trek, I saw two busted Madone steerer tubes on Busted Carbon website. That apparently got someone's attention and Trek later said that all non-Bonty stems with improper torques and less than 5mm of spacers on top will lose their warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think EU law also prohibits this kind oif behaviour but it will not stop them from trying. Simple solution sell the trek fork and buy a replacement. Using a non standard stem does not cause steerer failure crack handed installation or a genuine production fault will. I have yet to see a stem with sharp corners.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

FIJIGabe wrote:Did you bring that issue up with your dealer? I'm not defending Trek, I'm just pointing out that griping here about not getting something won't cure your issue. Talk to the dealer, have them talk to Trek and point out that you had a 5200 that had to be warrantied, and now you have to buy a seatmast? Look on the bright side, if you do need to buy the seatmast, you might as well buy the Emonda SLR version and go full-WW.

Is the Emonda SLR seat mast different from the masts on the other Trek bikes? I thought they all used the same one?

I brought the issue up with the dealer who did the warranty exchange for me. They said that Trek usually doesn't supply the seat mast and stem on warranty exchanges. The assumption being that you will use the parts off your old bike, even though many of those parts aren't compatible with the Domane.

uraqt

by uraqt

Yep that is it... they just didn't "know" you had a 5200...(they assume everyone has a seat mast already) I bet they will get you a seat mast, keep asking.... (I am not sure that you can buy one, I couldn't find one to buy online @ trek.

It was reported the that Emonda SLR is super light but it's still the same fit as the "normal one"... ( I would guess that Emonda SLR mast is backorder for a while, even f you could get it )

C

jspaceman

by jspaceman

No need to quote above

Trek knows. They have the 5200 frame. My bike shop sent them the broken frame, Trek said it couldn't be repaired and offered me a Domane or Madone. As far as I know Trek held onto the 5200 frame, as I never got it back.

I sent an email to Trek last week asking them about the seat mast, missing chain keeper, and the stem/fork warranty issue. So far I haven't heard back from them and it's been over a week now. The auto-generated email they sent me back issued me a case number and said that I should hear from them within a business day. So far nothing.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The seatmast is the same. It's just a lighter version of the one that comes equipped with the 5, 6 and 7 series frames. I wouldn't doubt this becomes a "Bontrager" part soon.

Again, with regard to contacting Trek, go through your dealer. They can directly contact the CSR, which you don't have the number for, and can talk it out with them. What takes you a week to do, they can hammer out in less than 20 minutes. I don't understand why you'd be willing to go through your dealer for the frame, but not for a simple part.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

There was another thread on what clearly appeared to be user error leading to the broken dropout on the 5200. Trek miraculously replaced the damaged frameset with a brand new model. Somehow they're obligated to bring the owner up to date with the other parts as well?

afalts

by afalts

jspaceman, I'd be surprised if your dealer couldn't get you a cap.

If not, retail prices are $125 CAD for the standard one, $158 for the Emonda one. Also the Emonda one is only available in 20 mm set back (no 5 mm option right now) and stock is super limited right now

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Wow, this is making me back out of any Trek or Spesh frame for sure.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Threads like this are very misleading. The warranty never said if you use a different stem you loose the warranty. It says if you use a different one, and it breaks, you have no warranty.

How can a manufacturer of anything, test every aftermarket part that is ever made [and ones that have not been made yet], and offer a warranty on that? They can't or they can't afford the insurance policy for them to cover that. It's best to say, I will warranty my item when used with my parts. Since I have no control over aftermarket items, I will have to say, I will not warranty my item if it appears that there is a possibly of the aftermarket item ruining my part.

Those that question the legal mumbo jumbo on a warranty policy clearly have never owned or ran a business. Seems like a smart policy that I believe is followed by every successful company.

So, if you choose not to buy a Trek or Specialized frame, you might be surprised that you would not buy anything based on that opinion.