Trek: using non-Bontrager stem voids fork warranty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm in the process of building up a Trek Domane 6 frameset into a complete bike. The frameset was sent to me by Trek as part of a warranty replacement for my deceased Trek 5200. Trek sent me the frame, fork, bearings, and cable hole covers; no seat mast or stem nor the integrated chain keeper.

While browsing around the Trek website I came across this PDF file, which states:

Some stems utilize designs that are not compatible with carbon steer tubes. Installing an incompatible stem can create a load point that can damage a steer tube, which may lead to a steer tube failure. Trek strongly recommends using a Bontrager stem with your fork. Bontrager stems have been designed and tested to be compatible with both aluminum and carbon steer tubes found on Bontrager forks. Installing another brand of stem could cause damage to the steer tube and will void the warranty of the fork.

The Domane 6 has a carbon steer tube. Trek did not send me a stem with it. I was planning on using the old Deda Newton stem from my 5200, or possibly getting a Zipp stem if I require a longer stem to make the bike fit. But after reading this PDF I'm curious as to why Trek would not send me a stem with the frame, knowing that I could void the warranty on the fork by running a non-Bontrager stem. I emailed them about it last week but so far I haven't heard back.

fa63

by fa63

A couple years ago, there was a problem with Madone fork failures for which Trek blamed improper installation and/or incompatible stems as the cause. So this sounds like Trek officially covering their asses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Did you try e-mailing them really really really nice... I don't think it's to much to ask for seat mast or stem and the integrated chain keeper. ( ok the chain keeper is not really needed, and is really an extra)

It sounds like the frame is unrideable without them, and it might just be a simple mistake that they weren't included.

C

ps I didn't look very long but I couldn't find the chain keeper or the seat mast on their web site, hard to buy if it's not there...I am betting that it's was just an oversight.

Arky

by Arky

I don't blame them for absolving themselves of untested stems. I can imagine there are some really bad designs out there with incorrect mounting surface radius, no torque spec, and sharp corners.

mattr

by mattr

Pretty sure a couple of the failed steerers were on box fresh bikes, with the original bontrager stems.........

fa63

by fa63

Failures were on bikes with both the original Bontrager stems and aftermarket ones (I remember FSA being one).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Trek is being very careful here. However (depending on where you live, and how much money you are willing to throw at the issue) this argument probably won't survive a legal challenge. US law specifically prohibits this kind of behavior (ie: Ford can't make you buy only Ford parts in order to maintain your warranty), and the manufacturer must demonstrate that the part in question led to the failure. I'm not sure how warranties work in the EU or the rest of the world, but in the US, I wouldn't sweat this issue (then again, I'm not afraid to sue Trek, or any other manufacturer, if they were to try this on me).

jspaceman

by jspaceman

uraqt wrote:Did you try e-mailing them really really really nice... I don't think it's to much to ask for seat mast or stem and the integrated chain keeper. ( ok the chain keeper is not really needed, and is really an extra)

I emailed Trek last week but so far haven't heard back from them (not sure what's taking so long, the automated reply email I received said it would take one business day). I'm hoping they'll send me the seat mast at least, as the bike can't be ridden without it and the seatpost off my old Trek can't be used. They have a Domane 6 frameset pictured on their website with the seat mast and stem, so why I no get one?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

They probably won't answer that e-mail, or the response will be to go back to the dealer you purchased your frame from.

uraqt

by uraqt

I thought about this some more, and I really thing they have standard replacement spec frame... they expect that you have your old seat mast from your previous frame, but in the case your previous frame didn't have the same one : )

C

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's what happened to me, but I purchased a complete bike. My dealer only sent the frame. You are supposed to be able to use your old parts on your new frame.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

The thing is my Trek 5200 was 10 years old and many of the parts on it can't be used on the new Trek frames. So I bought a DA9000 groupset for it. But the least they could do is give me a seat mast, the thing is unrideable without that.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Did you bring that issue up with your dealer? I'm not defending Trek, I'm just pointing out that griping here about not getting something won't cure your issue. Talk to the dealer, have them talk to Trek and point out that you had a 5200 that had to be warrantied, and now you have to buy a seatmast? Look on the bright side, if you do need to buy the seatmast, you might as well buy the Emonda SLR version and go full-WW.

mjduct

by mjduct

Still not a fan of trek it bontrager... But my local trek dealer has a great wrench and great CS that works on all my non trek bikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Specialized also includes a note that using a non-Specialized stem voids the fork warranty.

It was in the fine print with all three of my wife's Specialized frameset.